Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 198236 times)

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: page loading problem
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2004, 03:42:16 am »
The links do seem to be having trouble.

They seem to have partially revised the links without posting much info about it.  This link is working better for me.  It is far from perfect but is better.  It also seems to be dependent somewhat on the time of day. Team page

Code:
http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu

Note the addition of the 2 compared to older links that you may be using.    

digi

« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2004, 04:08:17 am »
It doesn't appear to be working for me right now, but I'll keep giving it a try.  Thanks Nem.

The Postman

« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2004, 05:10:28 am »
No that link does not work. I also can't check my stats on the individual page either. The only page that I can get is the once a day team page.  

GE-Raven

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2004, 04:24:36 pm »
You should soon notice an upswing in production.  I expect to be at about double in a day or so.  I hope to eclipse 1K WU per day at some point this summer.

GE-Raven

The Postman

« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2004, 04:59:53 pm »
Quote:

You should soon notice an upswing in production.  I expect to be at about double in a day or so.  I hope to eclipse 1K WU per day at some point this summer.

GE-Raven

There goes my chance for catching you  

ActiveX

« Reply #245 on: May 13, 2004, 08:02:08 am »
My WUs have dropped a lot since I've been playing Eve...

But I hope to add an 8 Opteron (dual core) powerhouse to my arsenal...

The Postman

Re: page loading problem:OUTAGE NOTICE:
« Reply #246 on: May 13, 2004, 01:47:58 pm »

Quote:

May 12, 2004
OUTAGE NOTICE: On Monday, May 17th we are going to have a two-hour web site outage starting at 17:00 UTC. Client downloads, statistical pages, etc. will be off-line during this time.

IKV Nemesis D7L

Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2004, 06:17:41 pm »
Go to the following link scroll down to #48 in the USA and you will see our very own:

48) Raven     275878     163.049 years    5 hr 10 min 38.3 sec    Sun May 16 00:49:35 2004    United States

Way down at #639 but still among the top 1000 in the U.S.:

639) ICE Gambler     52150     44.339 years    7 hr 26 min 52.4 sec    Sat May 15 08:42:16 2004    United States

If you go to this link instead you will see him at #113 in the WORLD:

113) Raven     275480     162.829 years    5 hr 10 min 40.0 sec    Fri May 14 16:44:36 2004    United States

Much lower down but still in the top 200 is Putanginamao (aka Cyberkada/Carlosbott)

196) Putanginamo    201013     98.422 years    4 hr 17 min 20.9 sec    Wed Dec 10 13:05:14 2003    Philippines

When I noticed these I could not resist giving you guys a little pat on the back (please ignore the kickme signs left behind ).  Way to go guys. You are the big boys that drag the team up into being among the best in the world.     None of the rest of us make the top 1000 in the world.  No one else makes the top 1000 in the U.S. (or would if they were American.)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by IKV Nemesis D7L »

DreadlordGW

Re: Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2004, 12:07:49 am »
If i still had use to our computer farms i'd be right up around Gambler - but cant run it as Seti slowed critical app down.

Re: WUs acquired from Cyberkada/Carlosbott.
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2004, 03:56:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

What is the Seti Thread about anyway ?I don't want to read through the hole now please tell me.It definetly does not deal with Search for Exterestrial Intelligience no way.I know you are in a lot Sirgod or Ann plase tell me.I don't trust anybody else to be taken seriously so plase tell me.
  Thanks  

Link to team stats

Link to SETI @ Home home page  

Click the links for the information.  Then you don't have to believe anyone.  

I guess I was wrong and sorry to everyone in the Seti team and for clearing this up for me Nemesis.It really is the search for ET.I have been more into Astonomy and looking at the stars.What is required to do a seti search?I thought it had something to do with the game.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 03:59:23 am by Age »

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: WUs acquired from Cyberkada/Carlosbott.
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2004, 09:09:17 am »
Quote:

I guess I was wrong and sorry to everyone in the Seti team and for clearing this up for me Nemesis.It really is the search for ET.I have been more into Astonomy and looking at the stars.What is required to do a seti search?I thought it had something to do with the game.  

Go to this thread it walks you through setting up the Seti command line client with the SETIDriver program to control uploads and downloads.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: Back patting and Kickme signs :)
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2004, 09:34:04 am »
Quote:

If i still had use to our computer farms i'd be right up around Gambler - but cant run it as Seti slowed critical app down.  

In our team's history you have a unique place.  

The statistics that you kept for so long encouraged people to work hard to keep up their averages.  Others made efforts to output more just to qualify for your stats list.  Your stats listing can probably be credited with causing 10's of thousands of WUS to be output for the team.  

Likely the output the you "provoked" with your statistics is greater than your own personal stats.   Your contribution is far greater than the measured stats.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by IKV Nemesis D7L »

IKV Nemesis D7L

A link from the birth of SETI @ Home
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2004, 10:34:21 am »
Link to story

Limited and edited quote below.
Quote:

The average Intel box takes an average of 35 hours to analyse each chunk of data, ...

the PowerPC which handles the Dalek data in a mere 23 hours, ...

SunSPARC which analyses the alien artefacts in just 16 Earth hours. ...

Alphas (from the dead planet Digitalia) take a mere ten galactic time units...

PA Risc systems have been sent more than 3000 batches of data, none of which have returned. ...

RS/6000s (lots of them in use in semi-detached houses in the Neasden area, no doubt) have been sent 4000 bundles of alien transmissions, but none have come back. ...

MIPS processors have gobbled up over 10,000 sets of data to no discernable effect...

680x0-based system has also failed to calculate anything....

an 'unknown' CPU which has received one load of data to which there has been no reply.

IKV Nemesis D7L

SETI @ Home passes 5 million members.
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2004, 11:08:16 pm »
Your rank out of 5006181 total users is:    7192nd place

and almost 5 million are behind me.    

AJTK

Re: SETI @ Home passes 5 million members.
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2004, 08:18:43 am »
Brag, Brag, Brag!  

I may only have one lil 2.8 laptop now, but it pumps one out about every 4-6 hours, causing my avg wu per day to go up about 5% in a month, and has dropped my average time approx 20 minutes in that same month. I wonder if I should have my old 733 STOP doing wu's, as it actually hurts my averages? It takes anywhere from 11 (RARE) to 30 (not quite as rare) hours to turn one out, with the avg being around 19 or so. It is amazing how much faster a new pc will churn these things out. Ive done almost a hundred units in the last month. Of course, I saw where Raven said he was gonna top 1 THOUSAND a freaking DAY later this summer, but for this mere mortal, 100 a month is pretty good, lol!

BTW, Raven is at #46 on the home users list now! Congrats.

Have a nice day!    

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2004, 11:08:32 am »
Quote:

Brag, Brag, Brag!  

I may only have one lil 2.8 laptop now, but it pumps one out about every 4-6 hours, causing my avg wu per day to go up about 5% in a month, and has dropped my average time approx 20 minutes in that same month.

Unless that is a Celeron laptop or you are using the screensaver it should be faster than that.  I would expect under 3 hours for a P4 (non celeron).  A well configured screen saver should add no more than 20% to that number.  

If you are using the screensaver minimize the time displaying the graphics, they take about 90% of the processing time when running.

A 2.8 P4 COULD have hyperthreading, which while it would hurt your average time should improve your daily output.

Quote:

I wonder if I should have my old 733 STOP doing wu's, as it actually hurts my averages? It takes anywhere from 11 (RARE) to 30 (not quite as rare) hours to turn one out, with the avg being around 19 or so. It is amazing how much faster a new pc will churn these things out.

It depends, are you after good looking stats or are you trying to help the SETI @ Home project or our SETI team?  If you are after helping the project (and team) then the maximum output is of primary importance and you should keep the old machine running.

The old 733 is it a PIII?  It should be able to do better than that.  My mothers PII 350 mhz (which I will soon swap for my #4 machine, upgrading her to an Athlon XP 2400+ and hurting my average time and output) averages about 16 hours / WU when I can run it.  Your 733 should be able to do it in 8 hours, even a Celeron should manage 9-10 hours.

Less than 24 hours ago I replaced the Athlon XP 2100+ in my #3 machine with a Athlon XP 3200+, according to SETIQueue that machine has already improved its average (calculated over 14 days) by 4 minutes and seems to be dropping my historical average by about 4 seconds a day.  My early estimate is that it will be doing ~ 2 hrs 10 minutes / WU on average.  That should drive my output up to 45-46 WUs/day total.  My #2 machine drags my average time up, but I wouldn't think of stopping it (upgrade the dual Athlon XP 2100+ to Athlon MP 2800+ yes, stop it no ).  The PII will drag my average time up when I trade my mother but I will be running it until I give it away sometime this summer.  Then I will be down to 3 machines and maybe 38 WUs/ day output.

Quote:

Ive done almost a hundred units in the last month. Of course, I saw where Raven said he was gonna top 1 THOUSAND a freaking DAY later this summer, but for this mere mortal, 100 a month is pretty good, lol!

Every WU counts.  Whether you do 1 a month or a 1000 a day it counts and helps both SETI @ Home and the team.  

Quote:

BTW, Raven is at #46 on the home users list now! Congrats.

Have a nice day!    

Cheating Bostich , he should be on the business users list.  Most of his WUs come from business machines not his home machines.  

Almost all of mine were generated by my own machines ( a few came from my mothers machine, which I gave her, and a few from a friends home/small business machines).  But I don't (and won't) make the top 1000 home users list.

I am #286 in Canada

286) IKV Nemesis     19528     8.207 years    3 hr 40 min 54.2 sec    Sat May 29 00:40:55 2004    Canada

and # 6 in Ontario

6) IKV Nemesis     19532     8.209 years    3 hr 40 min 54.0 sec    Sat May 29 02:49:41 2004    Canada      

As far as our team is concerned, I used to be at #5.  The best I can reasonably hope to do (unless we lose a higher ranked member, which I don't want to happen) is to maintain myself at 6th place.  If another business user shows up (like everyone above me) I could easily be knocked down the list, even out of the top 10.  But anyone who wants my spot is going to have to work for it .  If they can take it good for them and the team.    

AJTK

« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2004, 07:46:51 am »
Well, here is the deal. The 733 uses XP Pro, so I have the client running on it, BUT, I also have seti as the screensaver, as it appears that other screensavers have to fight with the seti client for cpu cycles. (The starfield looks like the Enterprise is running out of gas, it stutters) I have the screensaver only stay up for one minute then go blank... Not sure why the time is less than what you think it should be, this is actually a 750, not a 733, but it is a 750 on a 100mhz clock, not 133. Perhaps that is the reason?

The laptop is running XP HOME, so you said I cant run the client. Perhaps that is the reason for the time lag?

Your right of course, the overall seti output SHOULD be the goal, shouldnt it?

Have a nice day!  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2004, 09:02:26 am »
Quote:

Well, here is the deal. The 733 uses XP Pro, so I have the client running on it, BUT, I also have seti as the screensaver, as it appears that other screensavers have to fight with the seti client for cpu cycles. (The starfield looks like the Enterprise is running out of gas, it stutters) I have the screensaver only stay up for one minute then go blank... Not sure why the time is less than what you think it should be, this is actually a 750, not a 733, but it is a 750 on a 100mhz clock, not 133. Perhaps that is the reason?

A PIII at 750mhz and 100 FSB should (according to SETISpy) output a workunit in 7hrs 50 minutes.  How much memory do you have on it?  I don't use XP Pro but someone who does may be able to say if you are being memory limited.

As I understand this you are using both the CLI and the screensaver?  That would naturally drive up the time.  Instead of using a screensaver use the energy saving option to turn off the monitor after an inactive time.  

Running both will not only make them take twice as long BUT will introduce OS overhead that makes them take even longer, especially if you are low on memory.

Quote:

The laptop is running XP HOME, so you said I cant run the client. Perhaps that is the reason for the time lag?

As far as I know the CLI should run on XP Home.  I have never tried it myself (I don't have XP Home or Pro).  If I said anything that led you to believe otherwise it was an error.

Quote:

Your right of course, the overall seti output SHOULD be the goal, shouldnt it?

Have a nice day!    

It is for me.  For those who want to keep their stats fast they can always create a new account to donate the output of slow running computers.  That way they get what they want while maintaining maximum output for SETI.  Everyone wins, no one loses.

The race for rank is merely a fun add on.  The competition between moofighters and myself way back when he passed me the first time entertained both of us and others who read the postings between us.  The Great Moo Hunt later did the same.  Unfortunately that ended a year ago when the moohunt ended .    

AJTK

« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2004, 05:01:40 pm »
Maybe that is my problem, using the client and screensaver. I will try it without. But that really does not account for the fact that even with running both, the screensaver version still sometimes gets one out as fast as 11 hours. Usually alot longer tho. Ill turn screeny off, see what gives. The 750 has 576 megs of ram, with almost nothing running other than all the XP Pro processes that say that blue bolts from the heavens will strike you head if you dare to turn them off.

Thanks for the info Nemesis. Ill keep plugging away. Im not really worried about stats, I obviously cant get very high up the list, lol. I just wanna be respectable! ALOT of the people in front of me are deadwood, and havent put out units in months/years so it's just a matter of time until I get up to some of you big boys near the top and p00p out.

Have a nice day!  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2004, 06:08:30 pm »
Quote:

I just wanna be respectable!

I call this respectable.

47) AJTK     1008     1.337 years    11 hr 37 min 22.8 sec    Thu Jun 3 20:26:15 2004    United States

Relatively few reach 4 figures OR a year of computer time.  Well done on both counts.

Quote:

I obviously cant get very high up the list, lol.

Sound like me back in the beginning.  I was told that as a home user the best I could hope for was the top 20 on the team, top 10 was impossible.  I don't understand that word impossible.  

Keep trying and just perhaps you will find the time comes that you are the big guy.  Improbable, perhaps.  Not impossible.