Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 198227 times)

nexa1

Re: My Party (as it was) is now over.
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2004, 08:33:57 pm »
 Funny thing is that for nearly 2 years I haven't been able to run SETI. And I am still #61.  

I wonder what I would need to do to get it started again on my laptop here. hmmm....  

IKV Nemesis D7L

Re: SETI Thread Part III
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2004, 09:48:10 pm »
Quote:

Nem,

The simtel link is 404.

Best,
Jerry  

Update made.  

Quote:

I have...but I'm still just one machine fighting against the odds...
Jerry  

That is how I started.  Before The Great Moo Hunt.  Now I have four.  

Link to SETI FAQ

What is SETI @ Home? (abbreviated SAH)

SAH  is a distributed computing project designed to analyze signals recieved by the radio telescope at Arecibo looking for signs of alien intelligence.   Each computer in the project downloads data packets (commonly referred to as Work Units or WUs), processes the WU using either a commandline client (fastest) or a screen saver client (slowest).  SAH is an actual scientific research project running out of the University of Berkeley (SETI Homepage).  

As of earlier today SAH has 4,925,491 total users.  Unfortunately about 1/3 or them never processed a single WU.    

nexa1

« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2004, 12:14:32 am »

After a year and a half off,  I finally rejoined Team Taldren.
*applause and cheering in background)

So shortly I will be chompin away at them work units. Too bad my MIS on base won't let me run it on the gov't comp.
 Anywaym what is sad is that either I don't remember my email addy from that far back or Seti deleted it after being inactive for so long. In either case, my first goal is to beat myself.
*snicker*

Nevermind. I had a Beavis and Butthead moment.

Toasty0

« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2004, 09:27:13 am »
Nem,

I'm experiencing issues with the Seti Client running on my machine. Not sure what it is yet, but one of the things is I think it is using up all my resources even though I have it set for "low".

ack!

Best,
Jerry  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2004, 11:58:03 am »
1/ What OS are you using?

2/ Did you use my SETIDriver set up?

3/ Symptoms?  All programs or only some (which programs have you tried?)

nexa1

« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2004, 07:14:31 pm »
Now at 142 and climbing. whoo hoo!!! I figure by May I should overtake my old spot of #61  

Toasty0

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2004, 02:08:51 am »
Quote:

1/ What OS are you using?

2/ Did you use my SETIDriver set up?

3/ Symptoms?  All programs or only some (which programs have you tried?)

I may have found it. Seems that NeroBurns INCd packet writing software likes to conflict with several other programs including McAfee's virus detection software. So, this may also be suspect in regards to the SETI CLI. I'll let you know after a couple days of testing/running.

Best,
Jerry  

KRolling

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2004, 06:35:37 am »
Ok... let me see if I get this.....

A university receives "signals".
They are put into "units".
People with computers download software to "crunch" these "units" made of "signals".
You receive a "scoring" by how long, or how many, of these "units" you "crunch" to discover where these "signals" are coming from.
There is no pay in the use of your personal computer even though you are providing the resourses in which to "crunch" the "units" made of "signals".

Is this correct?

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2004, 07:40:56 am »
Quote:

People with computers download software to "crunch" these "units" made of "signals".
You receive a "scoring" by how long, or how many, of these "units" you "crunch" to discover where these "signals" are coming from.
There is no pay in the use of your personal computer even though you are providing the resourses in which to "crunch" the "units" made of "signals".

Is this correct?  

Essentially correct.  One thing to add however is if you are the lucky one to do the processing that finds ET you will be publicly credited with it.  Your 15 minutes of fame.  

My Data:

Your credit:
Name (and URL)    IKV Nemesis
Results Received    16613
Total CPU Time    7.107 years
Average CPU Time per work unit    3 hr 44 min 51.0 sec
Average results received per day    20.99
Last result returned:   Sun Mar 21 13:30:59 2004 UTC
Registered on:   Sun Jan 20 04:23:27 2002 UTC

SETI@home user for:   2.168 years
Your group info:
You belong to the group named:    Taldren
You are not currently the founder of any teams.

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 4927160 total users is:    8125th place.
The number of users who have this rank:    2
You have completed more work units than    99.835% of our users.

There are other projects that use the SETI concept to do other research.  Cancer and Anthrax research for example.   SETI was merely first and biggest.    

Toasty0

« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2004, 09:45:45 am »
Quote:

Is this correct?  

Now only that, but in your case you might actually find Star Man.    

KRolling

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2004, 12:30:24 pm »
But, of course, no one ever finds an ET.

Sooooooooooooo, why do you do this?

jualdeaux

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2004, 01:16:03 pm »
I think that some people do it in the hope that someone will ultimately find a signal. Others might just do it o be a part of a group of like minded people. There are also some who just like the challenge of trying to work their way up through the ranks and try to get to the top of th list. Iin this group alone there were a number of people had an informal, or formal, race to see who could produce the most. That lead to quite a few races that ultimately increased the performance of the group and also lead to people learning more about the computers they used and how to get the most out of them. I distinctly remember people building totally new computers just sothey would have much better processing times.   Anyway, there are many reasons people joined the group.

The Postman

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2004, 01:49:40 pm »

As you can see the Arecibo Radio Telescope only covers a fraction of the sky. Every red dot is a potential signal, however unlikely, where ET might be found. ET might be found in another part of the sky or ET's signal might not reach Earth for another thousand years. Who really knows? We certainly won't find him if we don't look.  

KRolling

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2004, 03:16:12 pm »
Ok, I understand now.

<backs out of room.... turns and runs>

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2004, 10:04:58 pm »
Quote:

But, of course, no one ever finds an ET.

Sooooooooooooo, why do you do this?  

No one has to date.  

Of course there was a time when people were told the same about hunting for the mythical city of Troy.  Then one day some one found it, it was not a myth afterall.  

Perhaps today will be the day SETI finds a signal.  But not if no one is looking.   I will keep looking for my mythical signal.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2004, 11:20:55 pm »
Quote:

Microsoft man funds ET search

March 21, 2004 - 1:52AM

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, one of the richest men on Earth, today pledged to donate $US13.5 million ($17.99 million) for research into extra-terrestrial life.

With the contribution, Allen will have given $US25 million ($33.32 million) for construction of the Allen Telescope Array (ATA), a network of 350 radio telescopes being built to find signs of life in space, said Thomas Pierson, director of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute.

The radio telescopes will measure the density of the early universe, the formation of stars and magnetic fields.

They will also be capable of searching for "possible signals from technologically advanced civilisations elsewhere in the galaxy," according to a SETI statement.

The announcement of Allen's donation coincided with the completion of the project's research and development phases, which Allen funded with an $US11.5 million ($15.33 million) donation.

The $US13.5 million donation will pay for the first two phases of construction of the ATA, according to the statement.

One network of 32 telescopes will be available for research by the end of 2004 and the entire network of 350 telescopes will be completed "late in the decade," it said.

SETI and the Radio Astronomy Laboratory of the University of California at Berkley teamed up for the ATA project.

"I am very excited to be supporting one of the world's most visionary efforts to seek basic answers to some of the fundamental question about our universe and what other civilisations may exist elsewhere," Allen said in a ceremony in Mountain View, California, where SETI is based.

Toasty0

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2004, 11:24:35 pm »
oh, those evil MS bast'ds...how dare they promote progressive research. *gasp*

hehehehe...meanwhile in other news, Linux claims to have found another Kernal Sanders...  

ActiveX

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2004, 11:33:52 am »
I'm looking now hehe...

I only got 4 WUs done sofar, but it took less than 18 hours for them...

To catch up to Raven though I'll need to build more than an FX-53 hehe...

nexa1

« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2004, 02:05:44 pm »
Kick Butt Active!!!!

I know what you are saying about Raven. lol. I doubt even the collective work of my bases antiquainted computers can catch that guy.

Me... Right now I am just focused on beating Rick Knox(pneumonic81), Hawkeye and myself. Seems to be a bit more feasable.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2004, 06:37:47 pm »
Quote:

oh, those evil MS bast'ds...how dare they promote progressive research. *gasp*

hehehehe...meanwhile in other news, Linux claims to have found another Kernal Sanders...  

Actually as I understand it Paul Allen left the company a long time ago.  Before they were known as evil bostiches.   Paul Allen is also the guy funding Spaceship One.   He seems to be more of a visionary and less a power seeker then his ex-partner Gates.  Unlike Gates he makes little or no effort to publicize his philanthropy.   He quietly does what he does without seeking public recognition.