Topic: Back from a recon mission [A little bit bigger project]  (Read 3284 times)

Marauth

Re: Back from a recon mission [A little bit bigger project]
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 03:58:50 pm »
Hmm, I see your points about the Galahad but there is one fatal flaw in your logic - those zig-zags are the result of a low poly model being placed next to a high poly model, for example the first change of angle on the front of the engineering hull is meant to be the cut-out for the deflector but P81 didn't use many polies on that area when he made the Odyssey so it now looks rather angular, the angle in the middle aswell is just being economic with the polies, the torpedo pod and shuttlebay also sticks out - so in both cases so far functionality has over-ridden curvy lines. at the rear end it's just the bad join between the Excalibur and Odyssey pieces - they just don't fit together.

As for the TNG ships I must disagree with you about the reason for their appearance, the Galaxy class is a product of the late '80s design when everything had to be round and curvy - as a result all the related ships - Nebula, Cheyenne, New Orleans, Springfield, Niagara, Freedom etc. share these traits. The First Contact ships OTOH are a product of late '90s design where everything must have dozens of compound angles, it's just the fashions of the real world dictating how we design ST ships. - look at the designs of modern cars and you will see all the angles I'm talking about. Especially Ford BTW - they love that sh!t.

Captain Ron

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 04:26:56 pm »
Quote:

I know B looks somewhat more advanced but it isnt...
for example
B = photon torps, torps, ballpoint phasers, old impulse engines, excelsior type deflector
C = q torps, photon trops, phaser arrays, lakota type impulse engines, sovereign type deflector  

Interesting but...
A photon Launcher is just that a photon Launcher you can vary the types of loads it shoots. Also the launcher under the saucer is a TOS Idea the lower part of the neck was TMP, TNG until the sov came along.

The phasers you are using seem to be applied by photoshop and not part of the model is that is so then again they can be made to match. So any era can be used to support either ship as the B could just as easily be redone with more advanced looking textures.

Quote:

Quote:

Given it's size it would probably be a CL by the TNG era, they were into that whole - bigger is better philosophy then. Oh and what about the Steamrunner, or Sabre, or Akira or the Norway, or the Defiant - not all smooth lines and curves are they, even the Sovereign has its share of angles. It was only the Galaxy era ships which are early TNG for the most part, if you go by registries the Steamrunner and Akira etc. are older than the Galaxy! the Nebula and all the Wolf359 ships are also the same age as the Galaxy or older than it with registries in the 60000s so it's a bit of a phalacy that TNG ships are all organic looking curves and smoothness.

BTW Mackie - where did you get that deflector texture, I wanna put that on my TNG connie it looks classic.  

Good points. Let me rephrase. I like the C version the best  To me all the angles in the B version are wasted energy. Like the C version goes from front to back in a graceful curve. While the B version gets there in zig-zag fashion without appearing to add anything to functionality. It does look nice in its own rugged way I guess.  

I think the later TNG designs got more angular simply because they wanted the ships to stand out more and make it look like they were all built with new advances to repel the Borg threat.

I think the David class is meant to have outlasted the TMP era and been refitted for TNG.  That is portrayed nicely in The C version as the B version looks like a completely new ship rather than an upgrade.

Plus Mackie says its TNG era.

The last line is where it wins the model will fit where Mackie puts it.
The rest of the arguement is more on the lines of why 800 poly models don't compare well to 2500+ poly models.

The New Guy

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
Nice ship Mackie. can't wait to get it  

btw, Klingon Fanatic, I see that ship in your sig,,, um, I signed up for the group,,, is that ok?  

Mackie

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2003, 01:30:33 am »
the only phasers added via paintshoppro are on the secondary hull and if you take a look at the renderings it doesnt so old, least in my opinions.

besides , i liked the classical design more than the X design so i went for that instead  

Captain Ron

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2003, 01:42:56 am »
I liked the one you went with was going to rework it to that type if you did not so you at least made me very happy. not to mention you saved me some time, and allot of work. One thing I did notice and would like to point out is that the area below the shutle bay still says Enterprise it should be on texture 5 (Khalibans) and should say Ironcross.

Mackie

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2003, 01:54:13 am »
Quote:

I liked the one you went with was going to rework it to that type if you did not so you at least made me very happy. not to mention you saved me some time, and allot of work. One thing I did notice and would like to point out is that the area below the shutle bay still says Enterprise it should be on texture 5 (Khalibans) and should say Ironcross.  

Again, I know that. and i fixed it already...

atheorhaven

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2003, 10:53:22 am »
Quote:

Yes, this is definitely fixed.  These pics are from the new texture.

(edit: found out the problem.. I included the wrong texture.  Placed Khaliban's original in there instead of the modified one by mistake.  Redownload the Ironcross now, the archive is now changed and fixed with the new texture.)

Sorry about that...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 10:54:19 am by atheorhaven »

Captain Ron

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2003, 06:28:20 pm »
HeHe...

No Problem,
I went generic on the secondary hall and converted some textures over so I now have the Hood, Repulse, Thecumseh, and the Valley Forge. I also now have them for the orginal, my green and red ones. Working on the Yellow and Federation Protection Force versions now (well and custom Deflectors and engines for the Green, Yellow and FPF).