Topic: Missin the Old Days  (Read 3659 times)

CaptainTombs

Missin the Old Days
« on: February 04, 2003, 03:18:57 pm »
 lately these boards arnt what they used to be on the old server, on the old board we had releases of new models nearly every other day which i miss the most, it showed that people loved  the Series alot, oh well i guess i should stop babbling on about the old days, i miss Kane,DD,Pneumonic81,RickKnox and the rest of the awesome modellers, i really miss looking at what these guys can do Conversion,Scratch built models oh well

3dot14

Re: Missin the Old Days
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 05:08:17 pm »
the communityu is already very enduring as is.
But unfortunatley that doens't mean eternity.

I think it's Atolm's sig line:
All things End.

I am happy enough that it HAS NOT yet.

EDIT: Please see clarifications to my comments (or foot-in-the-mouth routine is probably a better descriptor).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 05:55:15 pm by 3dot14 »

Azel

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 05:26:24 pm »
My sig???
What are you kidding( i hope)
I too miss the old days but I am still here...and believe it or not modelling...lol
But I have to learn texures sos I can start REALY doing some stuff...
I try to post everything I can but with no site it is tough...but like I said I am still here

My sig just helps me to except reality...sorry guys if it offends  

Clark Kent

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 05:39:06 pm »
None taken, it's the truth.

3dot14

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 05:42:16 pm »
Sorry I don't imply a relationship between your signiture line and the situation. (I can see that my statement could be misinterpreted. my fault.)

I meant to say:
it is [best said by] atolm's sig line:...
or
this is atolm's sig line [which describes the situation]

I merely was suggesting that the forum is progressing as any other things in life with ups and downs. It is natural.

I miss the old days of the buzz and glamour. But it's not anything to hold forever... The forum is moving on. (and quite nicely so too)

So atolm/azel. Sorry, I misspoke.

Open mouth <--- Insert foot.   .

p.s. I do miss Kane's conversions and works. He was the king of other-than-trek models
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 07:07:19 pm by 3dot14 »

Azel

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 06:51:51 pm »
lol
NP
I undersatnd  

Thu11s

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 06:58:55 pm »
Well, i for one am glad it's quieter over here. The SFC3.net forums have gone all 'WW3' again

As for new models?, soon my pretties, soon!

Thu11s  

E_Look

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 10:41:19 pm »
Well, gents, it may be technically true that in this world, all things may end, but you know, this forum, this community can be kept going on indefinitely and its you modelers and fan script writers that keep it all going.  If you keep this in mind it will go a long way toward stability here.  That is, having that goal in mind can help you ignore trolls and weather the fights and wars that inevitably come.

Thus11, you say the other forum has erupted?  I don't go there much at all; what's the deal?

-Edit-----
What's with the stars under my handle?  Am I on the General Staff now??
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 10:43:32 pm by E_Look »

Clark Kent

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 11:30:12 pm »
Well, that's another truth about that statement.  It doesn't say all things have to end, it just says they do.
As for the stars, I was wondering the same thing.
CK

James Formo

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 01:37:17 pm »
Quote:

lately these boards arnt what they used to be on the old server, on the old board we had releases of new models nearly every other day which i miss the most, it showed that people loved  the Series alot, oh well i guess i should stop babbling on about the old days, i miss Kane,DD,Pneumonic81,RickKnox and the rest of the awesome modellers, i really miss looking at what these guys can do Conversion,Scratch built models oh well  

I think there would be more interest in modeling if when a wip was posted more people commented. The SFC3 forum is 80% off topic and now its completely crapped out.  Along time ago I wanted to work on some stuff, asked for permission but never got a response- so I just started out on my own. Am grateful for all the tips I have gotten from people here and glad atheorhaven is texturing my ship. Cause if I did it you all would lose your lunch  

Atrahasis

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 02:08:55 pm »
I think if they had made SFC3 a better game with eras like the older games there would be more of an impetus to create models to fulfill our personal visions of the Star Trek universe, with timelines and all. Making models for the new game just seems somewhat pointless...SFC without a timeline capability does not make sense to me because ship designs evolve over time, and not refelcting that just makes things seem too static.  

James Formo

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 02:22:36 pm »
I wasn't here from the beginning. I jumped on the bandwagon after SFC/OP. Actually I didn't know about the series at all till I saw SFC/EAW in a beat up box at Toys-R-US.  To me SFC2 just has so much more varity than SFC3. I wish I could find a copy of SFC1 to compare it as well.

I think my favorite will always be SFC2.  I really like having the option to control 3 ships. I know many said that you really only had control of one and the AI did a poor job with the remaining 2. I felt that at least with the feds there were things to do with all three ships.  The simplest was just to select fire on my command so they didn't waste there photons from 30k range. I wait till about 10k range then switch to matchong your target. Then use a scatter pack with my ship, switch ship, scatter pack, switch ship scatter pack -lay mines, switch lay mines. Muahahahaha.  Oh the carnage.  Transporting mines was so cool why was that never used on the series?

Sorry I think I digresswhat was the topic again

ChrisJohnson

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
Want to know what I miss?  The old old days... Back when Moonraker was common... I really liked his latest work, which is now old... I first saw the work around the summer of 2001... And the only new work released then I believe was the K'T'ingas, the two movie ones and the dark K'T'inga in Jan. 2002... Unless I missed something?  His F-CAs were fantastic too, especially the latest version he never released.
Then, WZ was giving him good competition, and Reign1701A and his fantastic sounds were around too, and they all were commonly around.  Khaliban was starting off, modelling Fesariuses and Hi-poly Ulysses and Odysseus-class Starships and such... I still like his work, especially the F-CA/Constitution-class (refit) he's working on right now, which so far is the best of the best of the best of his work.  I miss P81 and LB and the old LD and every other modeller that was once there in 2000 and 2001 that I've seen and met (and starting out...).  I liked Starkiller's awesome retextures too, and he even did once made a retexture of the stock carrier for me with the name and registry, "U.S.S. Harry S. Truman NCC-2275" in honor of my sister Stephanie's current U.S. Navy assignment... And to honor her as well.  And besides that, he did a few other things I also really liked.  He's also done well with much other retextures, especially with some of WZ's work!  And he made fine kitbashes too.  I wish I could remember everything so I can mention it...  Plus one more good thing of the days of 2000 and the first half of 2001... I had my old username with a space in between Chris and Johnson. lol

Well...  Wherever they are and whatever they're doing now... I wish them well.

(1993rd post... As I said... Special memories in the 1990s I had... Especially from 1990 to 1993 since I've been in Okinawa... And then from Aug. or Sept. 1993 to Jan. 12, 1995 I lived in Arizona... And started living in Michigan in Jan. 14, 1995, the day before ST: Voyager aired.  Amazing I remember the dates of back then.  Ah well, like anybody cares. )

anduril

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 03:48:30 pm »
I agree with Atrahasis.

The new game is not all that modable when you take a close look at it.  The weapon possibilities are limited to a select group of tng'ish variants and none can be added.  Add to that the fact that there are only 4 playable races online and 3 in the single player game and once again none can be added.  Uninspiring was the feeling I felt very quickly.  Nothing there made me go SCHWEET.

And I think about all the modelers that I've seen through the past few years of doing this and the bulk are TOS or TMP lovers.  Talk about alienating a lot of people in one quick action.  They move on to other games or endeavours.  TNG is and will always be a dinner without much spice or flavor.  I redid my whole romulan shiplist, played on the D3.  Got started on my feds and realized I was making for a game that didn't interest me all that much.  I've no doubt that is what a lot of others felt and the reason you see a severe decrease in the numbers of models put out.  SFC1, 2 and OP shouldn't suffer because of it but I think they have.  Hell, I may even start putting out the models I've been making in .mod format again after I get over my distaste at blowin $50 that could have been used buying chrome for my ride.  If I feel that way I'm sure others do to.

edit:  Had to leave to do a quickie router replace so I lost my train of thought.

But you still have some very good talent taking time out of their days to put out very playable and enjoyable  product.  In no particular order and off the top of my head you have (forgive any spelling errors) Khaliban, Thu11's, Ductapewonder, atheorhaven, Dead Meat a few pages back and Sandman69... just to mention a few.  There are others and I apologize for not mentioning them but I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this board recently so I'm not reminded daily of their work.  Take care of them.  Give them the respect that you gave a few people that are no longer here.  Respect means replies to their work.  Coming in and saying "Darn I wish so and so hadn't left.  I always meant to reply to their threads but if I replied to everyone I wanted to it would take too much time" doesn't help the situation.  The time it takes to reply to a few threads is far less than the time it took to make that model I can guarantee that.  Take care of the ones here and more seeds will sprout and old long forgotten plants will undoubtedly bloom  again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 04:32:49 pm by anduril »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 10:34:40 pm »
Well, I agree with Atra and Anduril about one thing, SFC3 is not as moddable as it might at first seem. When you look at what you can do with it, it brings you back to the feelings you had when you first heard about Taldren making SFC3. All the great new features that would be available, all the awesome new technology at your fingertips. Now, when you come back to the present and take a second look at what you really ended up with, you have to try real hard to control the frown that spreads across your lips. Sure, there are a couple cool things about SFC3, but there are a lot of cool things that aren't in SFC3 that were in SFC:OP, and even more still that  should  have been in SFC3. I'm not even mentioning the various bugs and game balance issues that have sparked a dozen threads on the other forums, those will eventually get ironed out. But what happened to the  simplicity  of modding ships as in SFC:OP and earlier versions? That's what I really miss. Maybe one of these days Taldren or someone will try to make a game like the one we all suggested in that "If you could have any features you wanted..." thread back at the old forum. Man how I long for a game like that, even close to that. I'd pay an outrageous sum of money for a game even remotely close to that...

E_Look

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 02:55:50 pm »
HEY JAMES FORMO!!!

If you are really interested in finding a copy of SFC1, there's a site run by an old SFC fan by the name of Troy H. Cheek, though I haven't seen him post in quite some time now, and it appears he has it for sale, both the original and the later Gold Edition.  I have myself purchased SFC stuff from him a while ago.  Anyway, the site is:

http://www.cheek.org/forsale/index.htm

I'd also be interested if you were actually able to get a copy... anywhere, not that I need it (I've got it already)... just nosy!    

James Formo

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2003, 03:12:44 pm »
Quote:

HEY JAMES FORMO!!!

If you are really interested in finding a copy of SFC1, there's a site run by an old SFC fan by the name of Troy H. Cheek, though I haven't seen him post in quite some time now, and it appears he has it for sale, both the original and the later Gold Edition.  I have myself purchased SFC stuff from him a while ago.  Anyway, the site is:

http://www.cheek.org/forsale/index.htm

I'd also be interested if you were actually able to get a copy... anywhere, not that I need it (I've got it already)... just nosy!    

Thanks for the tip-I will check it out

anduril

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2003, 04:18:08 pm »
And now that I see the Schtupp posting you have the TOS man back.  So there are still modelers.  Take care of them!

3dot14

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2003, 07:39:23 pm »
Quote:

I wish I could find a copy of SFC1 to compare it as well.

Funny you mentioned that.

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=15981&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Someone else (not me) is just selling.