Topic: Problem with the knox cheyenne  (Read 971 times)

starforce2

Problem with the knox cheyenne
« on: September 02, 2003, 03:49:56 am »
In the material editor of max, I cannot find the pylon texture. There are 2 textures for the pylons, fgal4 and HRfgla4. There is no HRfgal4 that shows up in the Material editor. However, there is 3 fgal4's. However, every time I export to nif the pylons are u8ntextured. Now, the model is dirty as it is. 47 materials for a ship with 7 textures is the result of leaving all those extra pcx's in there along with every texture listed 3 times over in the material editor. Who knows which is actualy controlling what part of the model. Don't understand why people can't clean up that crap. I have changed every PXC texture to HRGal4, including HRGal5 and still it comes out untextured. Yet it renders that it is there. This is pissing me off.  

Edit-
Ok, nevermind, it appears that there is more going on here than originaly though. Instead of appearing untextured ingame, the pylons simply do not exsist. They are completley invisable. Chalk this one up to a FUBAR'd model. *hits delete* so much for a cheyenne in BC.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 03:56:29 am by starforce2 »

Captain Ron

Re: Problem with the knox cheyenne
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 04:15:44 am »
It could be the LODs' that are screwing you up.

The LOAD ON DISTANCE models tend to get things screwy and why there are multiple textures for each facing. I do not know how to remove them in Max but I am pretty sure this is what you are seeing.

Also he adds more textures than most use from High Resolution 1024, 512 to lower ones 256, 128. This is because the video cards of 2 years ago could not handle more than 256 unless it was a high end card, and 512 for most about a year ago. all this makes your head spin when doing work on these things. Now not all models have LODs or High Resolution textures in the zip and those are the ones I look for when I want to change things now (well I don't mind the HR textures as I can handle them or conver them down). So I tend to start with the taldren veiwer and delete any textures past the largest ones. If the model turns white as you move it away from you then there are LODs in it. The readme files do not always tell you but they are worth looking at first.

I know there is a cheyenne out there with out the LODs, but I do not know who did it. As long as you have the basic model the textures can be made to compenaste for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain Ron »

starforce2

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 07:56:48 am »
Quote:

It could be the LODs' that are screwing you up.

The LOAD ON DISTANCE models tend to get things screwy and why there are multiple textures for each facing. I do not know how to remove them in Max but I am pretty sure this is what you are seeing.

Also he adds more textures than most use from High Resolution 1024, 512 to lower ones 256, 128. This is because the video cards of 2 years ago could not handle more than 256 unless it was a high end card, and 512 for most about a year ago. all this makes your head spin when doing work on these things. Now not all models have LODs or High Resolution textures in the zip and those are the ones I look for when I want to change things now (well I don't mind the HR textures as I can handle them or conver them down). So I tend to start with the taldren veiwer and delete any textures past the largest ones. If the model turns white as you move it away from you then there are LODs in it. The readme files do not always tell you but they are worth looking at first.

I know there is a cheyenne out there with out the LODs, but I do not know who did it. As long as you have the basic model the textures can be made to compenaste for it.

This chey has no lods, I checked. at 4100 poly I'm surprised it didn't have atleast 1. I might try the break model since it looks whole anyways, see if perhaps the mesh error is gone with that one.

sandman69247

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 08:16:39 am »
If you want, you can convert my cheyenne. My mesh, Smileys textures, and it looks great in max and the modviewer, and fantastic in SFC2. The released version is for SFC3. You can get her at my alt.d/l site, just follow the links.