Topic: Akula and Saladin Class Destroyers  (Read 2946 times)

WickedZombie45

Akula and Saladin Class Destroyers
« on: August 28, 2003, 07:27:37 pm »
Here's the next set of ships in the TMP update series, the Akula and the somewhat awkward looking Saladin:

Marauth

Re: Akula and Saladin Class Destroyers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 07:45:06 pm »
The Akula looks very cool I especially like the custom torpedo pod but I have to agree with you the Saladin looks quite odd, traditionally the Saladin is just a connie saucer and neck down to the torpedo pod with a nacelle stuck to the bottom, even so I prefer this version as it makes it seem more like a real ship than a dodgy kitbash. BTW Will we be able to light the nacelles to be blue on these 2? coz the lit nacelles need 2 textures - one for the main body and one for the curved end while the black ones on your connie only have one.

BTW Wicked Zombie, did you read the email I sent you? Asking for permission to release those connie retextures I've done? I guess you've been too busy to reply, since then I've also bashed together a drone cruiser using the drone rack from your old Bellicose and an Oriskany thru-deck carrier and a strike carrier which is basically the same thing but with an extra torpedo pod on the bottom. Rogue Nine CH has the pics of the drone cruiser and will post them in a thread once his host is back to normal. I'd like to release them aswell if it's okay with you.

Anyway I'm off to download these and see what kitbashes I can make with them

Edit: BTW you know the writing on the sides of the saucer on the Tamerlane says 'STARSHIP U.S.S. ENTERPRISE'? Just mentioning it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 08:17:42 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

DonKarnage

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 08:19:16 pm »
not bad, looking a lilot like the uss akula ncc 278-A but your torpedo tube only shoot foward compare to the akula, still its a variant of it, so what next? a constitution class tmp with 2 impulse and a mega phaser on the pylon under the saucer or 2 warp engine on the middle of the segondery hull or a 3 warp engine like the dreadnought federation class whit transwarp engine??. anyway good job

WickedZombie45

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 08:28:33 pm »
To the bloodsucker Lestat (You pansy - flesh eating is the way to go you long toothed freak   )

I don't intend to have any lit nacelles since the outer part of the warp engines on TMP ships are normally dark, and because both sides of the destroyer engines are 'outside', they aren't illuminated. I've never seen a fully canon reason for this, but one theory I've read is that the outsides are armored to protect the more exposed portion. The outsides do have a different 'ridge' pattern than the illuminated sections so that does fit the theory. Since these ships are being used in a combat game, I think it seems more appropriate for the combat oriented versions.

I find it a bit difficult to reply to an email that I've never received. Regardless though, as long as you follow the policy on DRS (except for the contacting me part which you've already done) and include the readme file with the models (listing yourself along with the alterations) then you have my O.K.

To DonKarnage:

Heh, I take it you're referring to Moonraker's Akula? It also only has forward mounted torpedo launchers - in fact all of the Akula models I've seen are like that. I'm also not planning any of those other suggestions you listed as they sound a lot like Moonraker's models. He may not have specifically designed ships like the Federation, but he did add his own personal details to them to make them unique. I have nothing against Moon, but I much prefer my own style as opposed to someone else's, originality is a key to good work afterall.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by WickedZombie45 »

Marauth

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 08:53:37 pm »
Well if having the powers of telepathy and flight and being eternally young and beautiful are the tradeoff for sucking blood and not eating flesh I think I'll stick to the red stuff. LOL I sent an email a few days ago to wickedzombie45@aol.com and I didn't get any error messages so I don't know why you didn't recieve it, anyway with the acurising the connie I didn't mean to step on your toes but I just notice all the really small details and noticed quite a few things that didn't match the studio model photos (got 'em filed away for when I finally get around to doing that model kit of the big-e) so I wanted to fix those things, the green version was just an excuse so people didn't think I was being analy retentive over the details on the blue version.

BTW I just tried the Akula with blue engines (was bored) I made em up by hacking together the wrpin.bmp and wrpend.bmp textures onto the wrpout.bmp texture, it looks freaky having so much blue so I'm gonna ditch it and go with the black.

Oh and I've already started converting your Akula into a drone destroyer using the same rack as I used on the F-CAD. I love M6
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

Desty_Nova

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 09:04:53 pm »
Nice. Those are some impressive models.

WickedZombie45

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 09:33:11 pm »
It seems my zip files had a bit of cross pollination going on. I re-uploaded the Akula and Saladin so they now have the proper saucer rim registries.  

Marauth

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 09:42:00 pm »
WZ, a thought just occured to me, I was searching for reference photos of the Miranda a while ago and found some pretty cool photos of the studio model in it's Saratoga form, I kept the site linked and the photos are at this link: http://www.etopiaplanitia.com/Starships/Miranda%20Class%20III/ I just thought that if you're gonna eventually do the Miranda these could be usefull, except for the lack of the rollbar though there's some really good close ups of those phaser canon on the side of the ship, some stuff you'd never notice on screen. Just thought they might be helpfull to you.

Anyway, I'm off to feed ciao for now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

Fire Blade

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 11:16:38 pm »
Thank you
 love these ships
will downloading  as soon as i leave work @ 07.30 B.S.T
B.T.W   WZ  has already done Miranda and Soyuz classes  unless i am mistaken

Rod O'neal

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 11:48:09 pm »
Thanks for the models, man. I guess that I wasn't jumping the gun about you doing a whole new TMP fleet, which is a really good thing. Thanks again.  

starforce2

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 12:07:04 am »
sspeaking of the miranda, it could be cool to see these type of destroyers using Miranda saucers instead. I don't know about anyone else, But I have always thought that saladin and a akula classes were just plain too small internaly to be much use in battle (like torpedo sotrage for instance, by the time u get reactor, load-bearing beams and backup systems) U haven't got much room for anything else, not that you'd have much crew, but still. PLus, the miranda saucer has sensor pads and deflecotrs built in. Ofcourse, destroyers are generaly fleet action fodder anyways, but still.

Anyways, WZ, the models are great.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 07:53:24 am »
Hi Wicked Zombie
   First off thank you so very much for these great models that you've been putting out. Have you considered doing the Constitution Variant USS America? What ever you decide on doing next. I greatly appreciate your work and the efforts going into making these games so memorable from all the model makers and modders that keep this game alive. Keep up
the great work  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 01:00:44 pm »
Its going to be a damn shame to blow such good looking models up!

Well done WZ45!

KF

starforce2

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 04:23:31 am »
bump-How long before we can start shooting at these suckers?

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 06:22:15 am »
Hi Starforce2
    they are ready for down load now and Demon Renagaded Studios.  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 06:23:01 am by Bernard Guignard »

starforce2

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 06:31:28 am »
Quote:

Hi Starforce2
    they are ready for down load now and Demon Renagaded Studios.  

Ok, I was looking at omega sector. I figured the first one listed in his sig was his primary site.

WickedZombie45

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 03:00:14 pm »
Heh, I would've thought having "Demon Renegade Studios" emblazoned across every picture would have been a dead giveaway to where they were posted.  

Marauth

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2003, 03:10:37 pm »
BTW Wicked - do you actually have any plans to do anything with Omega Sector anymore or is it just gonna sit there rotting? (no pun intended)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 03:13:09 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

WickedZombie45

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 02:59:28 pm »
I've been tampering around with a redesign for Omega Sector for months, but I've yet to get past editing the graphics for it. Since DRS is my own personal site, I intend to turn OSF into more of what it is now - a basic site that hosts models from all over the community. Of course, it could be another year before I actually do anything with the idea.