Topic: What is the best tool to use to make a 3d-model?  (Read 3543 times)

Potemkin

What is the best tool to use to make a 3d-model?
« on: January 20, 2003, 12:52:07 pm »
List whatever you use and the ones you hate.  

Pros and cons - but behave like gentlemen    

atraxerxes

Re: What is the best tool to use to make a 3d-model?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 09:12:19 pm »
 I use a friend's Max ver. 4, it's hard at first but with a couple of books and alot of tut's DLed from sites you get the hang of it.

Potemkin

3D-Max
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 09:41:41 pm »
We use 3DMax 4 at work, well, perhaps I should say, the graphics guys do.  I can learn how to use it at work, but it is not my primary job - so it is frowned upon, at times, depending on who you are.

atraxerxes

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 12:47:28 am »
You know you could try something called " Anim8or". I downloaded it and it was free. Not a big  program, and it's alot easyer to learn than Max from start. The there's something call Milkshape? I started on Anim8or, and them learned and am still learning Max. I even think someone said there was a way to convert Amim8or models so they could be used for SFC2, not sure about 3. I did a google search and alot of reading, that's how I found somethings.

Turling

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 02:44:41 am »
Try gmax.  It's a free modeling program from Discreet, the makers of 3dsMax.  Gmax actually is 3dsMax, except without the renderer and particle system.  Gmax cannot export file in MAX format, but can export in the older 3ds format.

There is no plugin for gmax the way there is for 3dsMax, but there are apparently workarounds available to get your models into Starfleet Command.

And it's free!  

atheorhaven

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 02:48:34 am »
gmax can export in .3ds?  Really?  If it can, that'd make it *so* easy to get a ship into SFC from there!  Can you tell us how to export to .3ds from gmax?

Praxis

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 04:58:31 am »
3d Studio Max 4.2 is what i use...not only can you make 3d models but you can make some SWEET rendering effects easily.  Torpedoes are a simplicity.

Lord Vader

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 07:26:12 am »
I personally love Lightwave. You can model good with alot of different choices. but I prefer Lightwave    

Turling

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 11:28:21 pm »
Quote:

gmax can export in .3ds?  Really?  If it can, that'd make it *so* easy to get a ship into SFC from there!  Can you tell us how to export to .3ds from gmax?  

My bad.  I checked into a few things, and you can't save gmax files as anything but gmax files.  You can do some funky workaround, though, that involves the Tempest gamepack - for Quake II or III, I think - and Milkshape.  I don't know the details just yet - I haven't finished a model yet to export.

I don't think anybody's going to be making an SFC gamepack or plugin for gmax, so I guess the workaround method's the way to go.  

sandman69247

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 10:52:40 am »
There is a tut that I made on how to to get models done in gmax into the game. It is a long process, but the feeling of satisfaction you get when you play your ship in game is worth it. The tut is on my site. You will also need 3D Exploration or the newer version Deep Exploration in order to convert from .md3 format which is what you get with Tempest Game Pack. Word of caution though....md3 only supports one bitmap for textures. Good Luck!

Potemkin

best tool to use to make a 3d-model?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2003, 11:59:41 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll get into one of these soon.  I suppose the next question is how to import into SFC.

Again, thanks!

Capt. Sarmox

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 06:44:46 am »
Quote:

My bad.  I checked into a few things, and you can't save gmax files as anything but gmax files.  You can do some funky workaround, though, that involves the Tempest gamepack - for Quake II or III, I think - and Milkshape.  I don't know the details just yet - I haven't finished a model yet to export.

It's Quake III. Just export from Gmax then import that file into Milkshape which has a .mod plugin. I've had some issues with texturing. They don't seem to transfer out of Gmax and I end up reworking them in Milkshape though never to my satisfaction.  This process works pretty well, I've built a handful of simple ships and have a couple more I'm picking at, but I think the best solution would be a Gmax plugin.

Potemkin

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 12:08:03 am »
Thank you for all of your inputs.  I have two tasks that are taking quite a bit of my time currently - but they shoud be done at the end of the month.  Then I will begin some      ing work - at work

If anyone comes up with any other ideas - or tutorial sites that you found helpful (and not boring).  Please post it.

Again, thank you all

Po  

James Formo

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 06:30:05 am »
Well I find a sledge hammer works pretty good for my meshes