Topic: Goin' Old School  (Read 1172 times)

sandman69247

Goin' Old School
« on: September 02, 2003, 08:51:04 am »
While cleaning yesterday, I stumbled across my dust covered copy of SFC1, got a wild hare up my rear, installed it and played it and realized I like it more than OP. Well, the storyline anyway. Decided to convert my stuff to SFC1 also, but have a few questions. Mainly, what would be required to convert a model from SFC2/OP to SFC1? Would it be just removing the i-maps or is there more to it? And, does anyone else still play SFC1? Should I not bother or what?

Also, can you use the missions from SFC1 in SFC2/OP? Just wondering.

Marauth

Re: Goin' Old School
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 09:03:41 am »
And the damage points aswell if your ship has them. Can't really give you the technical advice on how but I just gotta say: Why the bloody hell has no one converted the SFCI missions to EAW/OP!?

Oh and yeah there are a few people who still play it.

Strafer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 09:13:11 am »
Quote:

Why the bloody hell has no one converted the SFCI missions to EAW/OP!?

Cuz it would require almost a complete rewrite, the difference is so great.

Khalee

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 09:22:15 am »
Ask Atra he seems to know how to strip out the light maps and convert the maps to where sfc 1 can read them.

Marauth

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 09:24:05 am »
Really? I understand there was a lot added to the 'APIs' (not actually sure about any of that stuff - not my domain) but I thought that surely if the SFCI stuff is less complex that you should be able to convert it. Even if you can't is there nothing of the missions that could be cannibalised into making the missions from the ground up in EAW/OP?

James Formo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 09:38:21 am »
The number of pieces the break models can have is less than op as well. So be sure to blow the ship up to see if the break mod crashes the game. I think it is 6 total pieces versus 8 in OP. Yea SFC1 is cool. The missions seem more challenging. Differences in ship classes is more noticable.

atheorhaven

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 10:37:50 am »
Tootin my own horn here..

http://www.themackiestuff.com/atheorhaven/html/_sgg/m1m2s1_1.htm

Basically, most of my SFC 1 conversions are from SFC 2 models and vice versa.  The most extreme conversion I was working on was a SFC 3 Vikrant conversion for Bernard... but he wasn't wanting one to go that far.  So it was shelved..

The closest other SFC 1 > SFC 3 conversions were the Shadow Battlecrabs.. they actually use illumination maps and glows... and started out with neither.

E_Look

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 01:03:05 pm »
YAY!!!

sandman69247

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 01:58:49 pm »
Thanx Alec!

Now to start converting. I will be adding these to my site as soon as I get them done.