Topic: Install/Run Error - Please Help  (Read 2701 times)

DrSchreber

Install/Run Error - Please Help
« on: August 29, 2003, 10:33:17 pm »
To All,

Loaded SFCIII (Not my copy, but another one I bought off a friend) on a friends computer so he could play.

I installed the program, ran into this bug, uninstalled (thinking installation problem) and reinstalled.

This error window pops up instantly EVERY time I click on the program icon for SFCIII.

The error is:  "SFCIII.EXE - Bad Image.  The application or dll C:/Program Files/Activision/SFC3/ MSS32.dll is not a valid windows image.  Please check this against your instillation diskette."

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

DrSchreber  

3dot14

Re: Install/Run Error - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 11:21:08 pm »
maybe is a bad CD? Try using your copy of the game, but >HIS CD KEY< to install.

And of course, you should try the beta patch, as well as any new drivers.

MSS32 should be the Miles Sound System's dll. something related to sound.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 11:22:11 pm by 3dot14 »

Pestalence

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 12:04:07 am »
Sounds like you are trying to use a burned copy of the game disk.. some companies like activision have hidden system files that won't copy when burning a disk...

solution : Use an original Store Bought install disk with a unique CD key.. 2 systems using the same CD key will bump each other offline if both games are played at the same time under the same key...

even if 1 of you is in GSA and the other is in Dyna.. it checks CD keys at Taldren and Activision for duplicate CD keys...

hope this information helps

DrSchreber

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 01:14:10 am »
3Dot14,

Will try my installing my CD and using his key.  Thanks for Idea.

Pestilance,

No burned copy.  Bought Game off of "Friend A", gave to "Friend B".  CD is original (With blue paint and everything).

But you have good idea.  If I have to I will spend more and acquire through store.

DrSchreber  

Pestalence

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 03:33:25 am »
Since it is a purchased copy, then try copying the CD to the hard Drive and installing from there.. any missing files on install should copy to hard drive before you install, thus giving an error free install...

either that, or you got a dud CD from Activision and you should return it.. allow store to try to install and if it fails on there end, it is proof of bad CD and you should have no problem exchanging it.

hope that this helps

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Cleaven

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 05:36:41 am »
You could try turning off the AV software just for the time of the installation.  

DrSchreber

Install/Run Error - Please Help
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 10:33:17 pm »
To All,

Loaded SFCIII (Not my copy, but another one I bought off a friend) on a friends computer so he could play.

I installed the program, ran into this bug, uninstalled (thinking installation problem) and reinstalled.

This error window pops up instantly EVERY time I click on the program icon for SFCIII.

The error is:  "SFCIII.EXE - Bad Image.  The application or dll C:/Program Files/Activision/SFC3/ MSS32.dll is not a valid windows image.  Please check this against your instillation diskette."

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

DrSchreber  

3dot14

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 11:21:08 pm »
maybe is a bad CD? Try using your copy of the game, but >HIS CD KEY< to install.

And of course, you should try the beta patch, as well as any new drivers.

MSS32 should be the Miles Sound System's dll. something related to sound.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 11:22:11 pm by 3dot14 »

Pestalence

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2003, 12:04:07 am »
Sounds like you are trying to use a burned copy of the game disk.. some companies like activision have hidden system files that won't copy when burning a disk...

solution : Use an original Store Bought install disk with a unique CD key.. 2 systems using the same CD key will bump each other offline if both games are played at the same time under the same key...

even if 1 of you is in GSA and the other is in Dyna.. it checks CD keys at Taldren and Activision for duplicate CD keys...

hope this information helps

DrSchreber

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 01:14:10 am »
3Dot14,

Will try my installing my CD and using his key.  Thanks for Idea.

Pestilance,

No burned copy.  Bought Game off of "Friend A", gave to "Friend B".  CD is original (With blue paint and everything).

But you have good idea.  If I have to I will spend more and acquire through store.

DrSchreber  

Pestalence

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2003, 03:33:25 am »
Since it is a purchased copy, then try copying the CD to the hard Drive and installing from there.. any missing files on install should copy to hard drive before you install, thus giving an error free install...

either that, or you got a dud CD from Activision and you should return it.. allow store to try to install and if it fails on there end, it is proof of bad CD and you should have no problem exchanging it.

hope that this helps

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Cleaven

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 05:36:41 am »
You could try turning off the AV software just for the time of the installation.