Topic: My first models......  (Read 2242 times)

MarianoDT

My first models......
« on: September 01, 2003, 08:18:46 pm »
Hi, I'm starting with modeling so I was thinking about something easy to start with.
First I thought about doing Borg vessels, but then I realise that there are not new Planet models. (I couldn't find any)

So, I've done some "kitbashes" from the stock model to make them more interesting. I mean with moons and rings.
They still need a lot of work (specially in the textures) but here you have some renders.
Please, tell me what you think....

First the planet Romulus and Remus. (nice to see the two little brothers together )

And then moons and rings:

I'd also like to make a comet but I am having problems with the tale.....It doesn't look good.

I hope to start with "real" modeling soon, I have some ideas specially for Romulans

Tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Mariano  

Klingon Fanatic

Re: My first models......
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 08:48:36 pm »
GREAT idea

Mackie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 11:55:49 pm »
im looking forward to seeing what youve done because...
*cough* ... I am... *cough* the self proclaimed kitbashing king  

starforce2

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 12:01:45 am »
excelent work. you should contact Cjones or banzizap over at Bridge commander, they can probably get your planets in there too.

James Formo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 10:30:30 am »
Just wondering if you played these in game yet. Cause I did something similar in SFC2. However the game reads the model as being as high and long as it is wide. In other words my ship would collide with the planet long before I ever got near it. The game also read the space between the planets as part of the planet. Did you find a work around for this? Thats why a long time ago I asked if planet collisions could be turned off somehow. I did find away to add planets by using the scenery mods. Which is the route I plan on using for the SFC3 mod as it will not add any polies to the game.

MarianoDT

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 12:38:08 pm »
Quote:

Just wondering if you played these in game yet. Cause I did something similar in SFC2. However the game reads the model as being as high and long as it is wide. In other words my ship would collide with the planet long before I ever got near it. The game also read the space between the planets as part of the planet. Did you find a work around for this? Thats why a long time ago I asked if planet collisions could be turned off somehow. I did find away to add planets by using the scenery mods. Which is the route I plan on using for the SFC3 mod as it will not add any polies to the game.  

Hi guys, thanks for your opinions. They mean a lot to me.
As far as the collition is concerned, yes I've tried some models in-game and they work fine. The moons seemed to work as a separate part and you can collide against them and you can get close to the planet without exploding. The same happens with the rings, in fact I've moved the rings under the plane in wich the ship flies "and you can actually fly above the rings...!!!"
I will post some in-game screenshots as soon as I can. (I am at work now)
What I haven't tried yet is to locate the moons very far from the planet to see if I can fly between them. But I guess it will work just fine.

Thanks,

Mariano

E_Look

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 01:05:17 pm »
Could you also make your planets, etc., work in SFC1, too?

MarianoDT

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 01:48:54 pm »
Quote:

Could you also make your planets, etc., work in SFC1, too?  

Well, I don't know about SFC1. I don't have it.....And it seems that modeling is easier for SFC3 (or at least we have more tools)
Once I release the planets, maybe someone could modify them to use them in SFC1..

Thanks,

Mariano

Kaenyne

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 01:55:01 pm »
Great looking "strange new worlds"!

I'm looking forward to adding them to my game. I think they'll really enrich SFC.

Scorpion

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 02:06:18 pm »
That's really cool.  I especially like that romulus and remus.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 02:11:11 pm »
Hey where's the d/l link for these? What is your policy for folks who want to retexture these planets?

Also I have transferred a chunk of SFC3 planets (not all of them) to SFC:OP along with the SPACE MOD (and a few James Formo additions) I've been VERY happy with the results.

Initially, I had some problems with SFC3 planet SIZE being such that they would blow up one or more space stations parked in orbit in one of Nuclear Wessels BASE DEFENSE mission. I fixed that by replacing the planet model with a stock OP sized planet, LOL.

Qapla!

KF

James Formo

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 02:17:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Hi guys, thanks for your opinions. They mean a lot to me.
As far as the collition is concerned, yes I've tried some models in-game and they work fine. The moons seemed to work as a separate part and you can collide against them and you can get close to the planet without exploding. The same happens with the rings, in fact I've moved the rings under the plane in wich the ship flies "and you can actually fly above the rings...!!!"
I will post some in-game screenshots as soon as I can. (I am at work now)
What I haven't tried yet is to locate the moons very far from the planet to see if I can fly between them. But I guess it will work just fine.

Thanks,

Mariano

Great news. Actually I hadn't tried it in SFC3. I ran into the collision problems in SFC/OP.  If it would be alright I'd like to test them out in SFC3 and use em in the SFC3 mod that Mackie and I are working on. You would be credited in the overall readme, plus include a readme for each planet mod, as each folder should have its own. I will still add some  backgroundscenery mods with suns and planets.  So some battlefields well have dual suns and an entire solar system  

Great work btw.

Reverend

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 04:07:36 pm »
Yes!!!! Dual suns, and more planets- SFC3 really needed them; many of the planets are too similar, and none had any rings! The smae old sun gets old too; wonder if that can be done in SFC3? Keep up the great work- let us know when you're ready for us to DL them- I am rather eager- especially for the moons next to the planet... great battlefield... even an entire solar system woud be nice too!
Thanks guys!

Smiley

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 11:38:14 am »
Hi MarianoDT, I've noted that you always say kinds things about my models and I'm glad to read that you have begun modelling yourself!
I look forward to seeing what you continue to come up with in the future    

MarianoDT

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 01:21:56 pm »
Hi again people.....

I have some in-game screenshots...

http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3planet3moonsScr00018.jpg
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3planet3moonsScr00019.jpg
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3planetringsScr00014.jpg
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3Splanetmooncr00000.jpg
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3Splanetringscr00012.jpg

You can get close to the planet but...
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3Splanetmooncr00002.jpg

...but there are some problems.....
I'm having problems when I locate the moons or the rings very far from the planet:
Unfortunately, you cannot fly between the objects and  the atmosphere efect looks really, really bad.
I think the best way would be making the moons small and next to the planet. And I'm thinking about making the rins as an asteroid ring because I don't like the way it looks.

Or maybe rotated this way...

http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3ringsdiagScr00023.jpg
http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/SFC3RingsScr00022.jpg

Question:

Has anyone been able to use particles in a .MOD file. ?
Every time I've tried to convert particles to SFC they don't show up in the viewer nor the game....

Sorry for the low reply, but I've been very busy...I'll keep working on this to find a solution.

Smiley,  thank you for your nice comments too....

James Formo,it seems that when I place the moons in a more "real" distance from the planet happens what you'd told me. I'll try with other configurations......

Thanks,

Mariano