Topic: OT: Question about Challenger for those who remember  (Read 3998 times)

Steelviper33

OT: Question about Challenger for those who remember
« on: February 06, 2003, 04:56:42 am »
for those who were aware of what was going on during the challenger back in '86. what was going through your minds, and what were you doing?

Thanks guys

James Formo

Re: OT: Question about Challenger for those who remember
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 04:59:27 am »
I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time. I had the radio on and 1st heard about it there. I was living in Osseo, Wisconsin at the time. In an apartment above a Norweigian cafe called the Norske Nook.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 05:08:06 am »
Fiance left me 2 days prior to challenger. I was devastated. After selling the engagement ring I then bought my first motorcycle (Ninja 600R) about a week later. I felt much better after that! So she was right after all: It was for the best.

James Formo

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 05:12:33 am »
I know break ups are tough. Soumds like a good trade though. I mean the bike for the ring.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 05:28:54 am »
It made the down payment! Much better trade.  

The exact moment I heard about the Challanger i was in the garage working on my car, and fuming over the girl thing. We had being together since seventh grade. So Challenger taught me life is too short. I mean really taught me.  Columbia brought that all back - a shadow of the past.

anduril

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 06:30:16 am »
Watching it thru the targeting scope of the gun director on my ship.  I could see something didn't look right and ran off the ship to check out the tv's in the commisary on the pier.

L_B

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 06:53:55 am »
I was in fourth grade.... we were watching it on tv at school. it was shocking to say the least.

Admiral Ross

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 07:58:24 am »
Quote:

It made the down payment! Much better trade.  

The exact moment I heard about the Challanger i was in the garage working on my car, and fuming over the girl thing. We had being together since seventh grade. So Challenger taught me life is too short. I mean really taught me.  Columbia brought that all back - a shadow of the past.

I know im off topic here, but you have been with her for a very long time, if youve been together since the 7th grade, then its blatantly obvious you had something special... are you sure that you both made the right choice in going your own ways? Im 17 at the moment, ive been with my gf since primary school (something like the 5th grade in U.S). I beleieve we are soul mates. (enough of my life story) I dont know the situation obviously, but if its repairable, i would cirtainly try to reapair the relationship/

Id love to comment on the challenger, but as i was only 1 at the time, i think im under qualified  

Clark Kent

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2003, 08:17:07 am »
I was in second grade, and we were watching it on TV with another class.  About the only thing I thought when I was saw it was shock.  The investigation afterwards was my first taste of the government trying to cover things up- many didn't and still don't believe the o-ring thing.  I don't know enough to feel any different.
Ross, the problem with having an intense relationship at that time is many people don't take your feelings seriously.  It's happened- people do make it after being together at such a young age, but in case you haven't already, get any ideas of the "perfect" girl or relationship.  There's always gonna be some rough spots, but hey, if things were perfect, could you imagine how boring things would be?
CK

starforce2

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 09:43:51 am »
Some children not far from my house made a shuttle out of show in their front yard. I want to get a pic of it sometime. Pitty it's on a main streen..hard to get a break long enough to stop and grab a shot.  

Chris Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 11:55:42 am »
I had just gotten home from a radio show and had the TV on watching the Challenger lift-off.

My heart dropped when I saw multiple smoke trails.  

I also recall the Star Trek: IV came out that year, and they had a tribute to the Astronauts before the movie in the theatre.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Chris Jones »

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 12:50:36 pm »
Quote:

I know im off topic here, but you have been with her for a very long time, if youve been together since the 7th grade, then its blatantly obvious you had something special... are you sure that you both made the right choice in going your own ways? Im 17 at the moment, ive been with my gf since primary school (something like the 5th grade in U.S). I beleieve we are soul mates. (enough of my life story) I dont know the situation obviously, but if its repairable, i would cirtainly try to reapair the relationship/

Id love to comment on the challenger, but as i was only 1 at the time, i think im under qualified    

Ahh to be 17 again lol (Im 37) She had a sudden turn on the religious front, that is she became a fervent born again christian pratically overnight. It was impossible to reconcile that difference though we were very much in love and I had thought I could adapt. Her friends ("new friends") convinced  her that she "could not give herself to an unbeliever" and she left me very suddenly without warning. Im talking like Pearl Harbor suddenly lol. yea , we had been together about 7 years then POOF! Gone.

Of course in time I realized that she made the right choice for both of us, I have had many realtionships since then and Penny got married and has two kids I believe. Instead of dragging the realtionship down byb getting married and being miserable for years, it was ended sharply and my memories of her are much fonder in whole because of that.

Peoople said 20 was too young to get married but thats stupid, true love is true love. Just dont live a lie for the sake of it.

In a flash, the Challenger disaster made me realize all  this much sooner than would be normal for me, and every mention af it is like a refresher course in life.

Ross, I hope you and your GF will stay together, its cool you have been together for so long being young like that. But watch out - people change so be ready to adapt LOL!

Admiral Ross

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 02:36:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ahh to be 17 again lol (Im 37) She had a sudden turn on the religious front, that is she became a fervent born again christian pratically overnight. It was impossible to reconcile that difference though we were very much in love and I had thought I could adapt. Her friends ("new friends") convinced  her that she "could not give herself to an unbeliever" and she left me very suddenly without warning. Im talking like Pearl Harbor suddenly lol. yea , we had been together about 7 years then POOF! Gone.

Of course in time I realized that she made the right choice for both of us, I have had many realtionships since then and Penny got married and has two kids I believe. Instead of dragging the realtionship down byb getting married and being miserable for years, it was ended sharply and my memories of her are much fonder in whole because of that.

Peoople said 20 was too young to get married but thats stupid, true love is true love. Just dont live a lie for the sake of it.

In a flash, the Challenger disaster made me realize all  this much sooner than would be normal for me, and every mention af it is like a refresher course in life.

Ross, I hope you and your GF will stay together, its cool you have been together for so long being young like that. But watch out - people change so be ready to adapt LOL!

-- I think i read your original post wrong!! LOL

Im glad it all worked out for you in the end. I guess when they say, "things that are meant to happen, happen, and things will always work out for the best". It  is a prime example of that in your case as i can see right there.

Thanks for the Advice and the kind words!!

Vichama

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 04:26:55 pm »
I was in first grade walking down one of the halls at school.  There was an announcment over the PA and I went to the nearest TV and saw the footage of the challenge exploding.  At the time I liked teachers so that made me sad (2nd grade mean teacher), and as always I loved the space program.  A thirst for the unknown I guess.  Anywho after seeing the footage my little heart sank and I cried.  Seeing Columbia broght back some of those moments.  

Clark Kent

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2003, 11:14:47 pm »
Gonna disagree with you Ross- my current relationship is a long distance one, and it takes a great deal of work.  I don't believe that you should let something happen, and just accept what life hands you.  I think fate is more of a relationship between us and the universe.  There has to be balance between what happens to us and what we do.  I guess, it's easiest to put it like this: fate, it's there, but often times it needs a helping hand.
The trick is knowing what the right thing to do is, and what is not.
CK

Atrahasis

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 11:43:47 pm »
Quote:

Watching it thru the targeting scope of the gun director on my ship.  I could see something didn't look right and ran off the ship to check out the tv's in the commisary on the pier.  

No way, Anduril was within visual range! Phenomenal.  

Admiral Ross

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2003, 09:08:30 am »
Quote:

Gonna disagree with you Ross- my current relationship is a long distance one, and it takes a great deal of work.  I don't believe that you should let something happen, and just accept what life hands you.  I think fate is more of a relationship between us and the universe.  There has to be balance between what happens to us and what we do.  I guess, it's easiest to put it like this: fate, it's there, but often times it needs a helping hand.
The trick is knowing what the right thing to do is, and what is not.
CK  

Valid points as always... i didnt look at it in that context, of course, YOU must do things to make your relationship work. standing by and letting things happen will just make you grow further apart. I wasnt trying to imply that you should just let things go their own way and just stand by and watch just that maybe some things are meant to happen and you can't to anything to stop them. Fate perhaps?

I think this deserves its own thread on the OT forum, lol