Topic: Here's a really late coming, possibly already answered question  (Read 3649 times)

theRomulan

Here's a really late coming, possibly already answered question
« on: February 04, 2003, 12:58:33 am »
In regards to SFC2 and the patches 'n' stuff:

Is 2.0.3.6 the final version.  I know it's the latest version, but is this it?  Is this as far as EAW is gonna go?  I know OP patch is kind of the works here and there, but besides that, is the EAW i'm playing now the FINAL version of EAW?  

I guess talking about gameplay issues for SFC2 is a dead thing since SFC3 has come out, but since this is a general forum, I feel like bringing the issue back up.  

2.0.3.6 is good version, lots and lots of hard work has been put into SFC2 to get it where it is; i would go so far as to say it's quite a masterpiece.  My question that goes around at this point is... will their be anymore future attempts at making the game even tighter?  

I mean, there's just so many more things that could be tackled or addressed in the game. Drones for one thing could be amended, etc. etc.  But alas, that would require people to sacrifice even more gobs of time, so perhaps this is truly an unreasonable question and request.  Oh well.  I'm still enjoying myself playing it.  

EmeraldEdge

Re: Here's a really late coming, possibly already answered question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 01:38:47 am »
It was supposed to be.  I think that last word though was that it was it "for now".  Personally I would rather see any future efforts that might be dumped into EAW be put towards OP, as it just offers more.  Since both games are in the bargain bin now it's not a huge backbreaker to get OP if you don't have it.  That said OP hasn't had anywhere near the level of support EAW had.  If it did, it would be the hands down victor in the EAW vs. OP threads.  Oh, well.  Only the future will really tell I guess, what the outcome of it all will really be.  

dgray

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 12:46:14 pm »
I'm going to buy SFC2 EAW tomorrow, I used to have it but lost it when I moved house not long ago.  I got up to patch 20055-2006-2 before, what other patches are there and where can i download them? how big are they?.  Also, if SFC OP is going cheap I might buy that aswell, what UK patches are there and where are they?

Which one do people think is the better game?  

ChrsLWlstr

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 01:18:02 pm »
I'd definitely be interested in seeing another possible patch.  With of course the standard requests.

-Plasma Bolts (Possible?)
-Offensive Plasma D (At least fix the one that ~was~ in there).
-Klingon/Romulan Boom phaser arcs.
-Direct fire Hellbores (Possible?)
-Fixed G-Racks (Flame retardent suit on).

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are many more.

And, I'm curious.  Is it possible to 'port' OP weapons and other features to EAW?  It's the same game, is it not?  I'm sure there are some inventive programmers in this community that could make all of this happen if the code was released.

(Don't take me for an expert, I'm not exactly sure on what is possible with this.)

LongTooth

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 03:00:36 pm »
HMV has EAW for 12 quid did not see op tho
EAW pacth is up to 2236 dont have a link for it tho try the D2 fourm  

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 03:17:23 pm »
Go to  http://www.khoromag.org , and click on "EAW Patches".  

TheSatyr

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 04:54:28 pm »
The 2036 patch is the final EAW patch. The upcoming OP patch is expected to be the final OP patch.

While Taldren could change their minds sometime down the road,I don't see that happening...they do have other projects that require their time.

3dot14

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 05:19:39 pm »
I acutally agree. OP has more potential to discover than EAW, which is at its zenith with 2036.

(of course, GaW would consolidate everything. but I am dreaming.)

theRomulan

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 12:38:09 am »
At first I was sceptical at the idea of a Galaxies at War game.  I actually preferred a different game over something like GaW, figuring that something refreshing and new should be done.  

At this point, I see the decision to do TNG as a good move on Taldren's part and Activision; you can't get many sales if you release YET ANOTHER SFB on computer.  After Orion Pirates coming out like it did, people may have not taken it seriously.  Also, with the Star Trek movie coming out, I can only imagine what might happen to a game like that.  

SFC3 is good for what it is.  Hard work got put in, but after playing it awhile, I certainly still favor the SFB flavor more, and while GaW is most likely just a pipe dream (how long can Taldren stand making star trek games like that anyway?), to see it become reality would be exceptional.  The D3 engine is rather good; despite the opinions of the starship combat and racial flavor, the ability to fleet up, etc., really does make the D3 rather interesting.  PvP on the D2 is an art; you have to create a server with a set of victory conditions and rules, and you have to set your map up in such a way that people getting drafted to fight the enemy at some point becomes inevitable, and it becomes massive.  If you leave it in a natural state, PvP hardly exists.  D3 has more PvP even without the organization, in my opinion, and teamwork becomes more natural in some ways.  GaW with a D3 system would be incredible.

Otherwise, all I can say is good luck to Taldren on its work with SFC3 and whatever future projects they go after. SFC2 has really started to grow on me, and SFC3 will always be something I enjoy playing against my brother in.  

Lepton1

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 12:56:41 pm »
Satyr,

What about the leaked 3.0.0 something patch I have seen references to?  I thought that was the final patch.  Feel free to correct me but I thought that was to be the final patch.

theRomulan

Here's a really late coming, possibly already answered question
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2003, 12:58:33 am »
In regards to SFC2 and the patches 'n' stuff:

Is 2.0.3.6 the final version.  I know it's the latest version, but is this it?  Is this as far as EAW is gonna go?  I know OP patch is kind of the works here and there, but besides that, is the EAW i'm playing now the FINAL version of EAW?  

I guess talking about gameplay issues for SFC2 is a dead thing since SFC3 has come out, but since this is a general forum, I feel like bringing the issue back up.  

2.0.3.6 is good version, lots and lots of hard work has been put into SFC2 to get it where it is; i would go so far as to say it's quite a masterpiece.  My question that goes around at this point is... will their be anymore future attempts at making the game even tighter?  

I mean, there's just so many more things that could be tackled or addressed in the game. Drones for one thing could be amended, etc. etc.  But alas, that would require people to sacrifice even more gobs of time, so perhaps this is truly an unreasonable question and request.  Oh well.  I'm still enjoying myself playing it.  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2003, 01:38:47 am »
It was supposed to be.  I think that last word though was that it was it "for now".  Personally I would rather see any future efforts that might be dumped into EAW be put towards OP, as it just offers more.  Since both games are in the bargain bin now it's not a huge backbreaker to get OP if you don't have it.  That said OP hasn't had anywhere near the level of support EAW had.  If it did, it would be the hands down victor in the EAW vs. OP threads.  Oh, well.  Only the future will really tell I guess, what the outcome of it all will really be.  

dgray

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2003, 12:46:14 pm »
I'm going to buy SFC2 EAW tomorrow, I used to have it but lost it when I moved house not long ago.  I got up to patch 20055-2006-2 before, what other patches are there and where can i download them? how big are they?.  Also, if SFC OP is going cheap I might buy that aswell, what UK patches are there and where are they?

Which one do people think is the better game?  

ChrsLWlstr

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2003, 01:18:02 pm »
I'd definitely be interested in seeing another possible patch.  With of course the standard requests.

-Plasma Bolts (Possible?)
-Offensive Plasma D (At least fix the one that ~was~ in there).
-Klingon/Romulan Boom phaser arcs.
-Direct fire Hellbores (Possible?)
-Fixed G-Racks (Flame retardent suit on).

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are many more.

And, I'm curious.  Is it possible to 'port' OP weapons and other features to EAW?  It's the same game, is it not?  I'm sure there are some inventive programmers in this community that could make all of this happen if the code was released.

(Don't take me for an expert, I'm not exactly sure on what is possible with this.)

LongTooth

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2003, 03:00:36 pm »
HMV has EAW for 12 quid did not see op tho
EAW pacth is up to 2236 dont have a link for it tho try the D2 fourm  

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2003, 03:17:23 pm »
Go to  http://www.khoromag.org , and click on "EAW Patches".  

TheSatyr

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2003, 04:54:28 pm »
The 2036 patch is the final EAW patch. The upcoming OP patch is expected to be the final OP patch.

While Taldren could change their minds sometime down the road,I don't see that happening...they do have other projects that require their time.

3dot14

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2003, 05:19:39 pm »
I acutally agree. OP has more potential to discover than EAW, which is at its zenith with 2036.

(of course, GaW would consolidate everything. but I am dreaming.)

theRomulan

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 12:38:09 am »
At first I was sceptical at the idea of a Galaxies at War game.  I actually preferred a different game over something like GaW, figuring that something refreshing and new should be done.  

At this point, I see the decision to do TNG as a good move on Taldren's part and Activision; you can't get many sales if you release YET ANOTHER SFB on computer.  After Orion Pirates coming out like it did, people may have not taken it seriously.  Also, with the Star Trek movie coming out, I can only imagine what might happen to a game like that.  

SFC3 is good for what it is.  Hard work got put in, but after playing it awhile, I certainly still favor the SFB flavor more, and while GaW is most likely just a pipe dream (how long can Taldren stand making star trek games like that anyway?), to see it become reality would be exceptional.  The D3 engine is rather good; despite the opinions of the starship combat and racial flavor, the ability to fleet up, etc., really does make the D3 rather interesting.  PvP on the D2 is an art; you have to create a server with a set of victory conditions and rules, and you have to set your map up in such a way that people getting drafted to fight the enemy at some point becomes inevitable, and it becomes massive.  If you leave it in a natural state, PvP hardly exists.  D3 has more PvP even without the organization, in my opinion, and teamwork becomes more natural in some ways.  GaW with a D3 system would be incredible.

Otherwise, all I can say is good luck to Taldren on its work with SFC3 and whatever future projects they go after. SFC2 has really started to grow on me, and SFC3 will always be something I enjoy playing against my brother in.  

Lepton1

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 12:56:41 pm »
Satyr,

What about the leaked 3.0.0 something patch I have seen references to?  I thought that was the final patch.  Feel free to correct me but I thought that was to be the final patch.