Topic: Enterprise C WIP  (Read 3704 times)

Magnum357

Re: Enterprise C WIP
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2003, 11:59:06 pm »
Well, the perportions are still a tad off in my opinion, but regardless its still a very nice model Sandman.  Keep up the good work!

One question Sandman, will this Ambassador have only a few textures?  I've noticed other Ambassador Models out their that they have a lot of different little textures for each peice which is a little annoying if you want to make some simple kitbashes.  That is part of the reason why I keep my textures on just a few templates.

sandman69247

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2003, 08:35:49 am »
Thanx Magnum!

As for the proportions, I noticed that the pics I am using (from scifi-arts.com) and the standard Ambassador schematic are a little different in that the pics I am using show it pretty narrow in the 2ndary hull. I prefer the narrower look, makes it look sleeker.

For the textures, I have so far 6 512x512 texture, not including the i-maps. You need a lot, since there is so much to put on the darn thing, lol.

Marauth

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2003, 09:13:08 am »
Well there is an explanation for the difference in schematics, the 'standard schematics' are not actually what the original Ambassador looked like, they are a compromise between the appearance of the studio model as the Enterprise-C in 'Yesterday's Enteprise' and the Yamaguchi/Excalibur/Zhukov modified version used later on, the most problematic difference in the schematics (which actually made it's way into AMT/ERTL's physical model kit of the Enteprise-C was that the hull was made considerably wider for the Yamaguchi/Excalibur/Zhukov version (which on a model kit takes quite a bit of skill and patience to correct)

Also one of the things nobody notices in the schematics because it's hidden by the nacelles, but the neck of the original version actually extends a few metres beyond the edge of the saucer. There's a really good article detailing the differences between the 2 versions here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ambassador.htm

The ship is looking very good if I do say so Sandman, what's the poly count as it stands?

sandman69247

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2003, 12:31:05 pm »
Quote:

The ship is looking very good if I do say so Sandman, what's the poly count as it stands?  

Thanx! and I'm not sure. Since I started detaching elements for texturing, and tweaking here and there, I can't get a poly count from max...at least as far as I know I can't. If anyone knows how to get a poly count on multiple objects, let me know. I think it will be between 4000-4500 polies when I'm done and have evrything re-attached.

DookeyKing

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2003, 02:45:20 pm »
When rendering,  MAX gives a face count for the entire scene.  Just a thought.

Scott

Smiley

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2003, 04:00:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanx! and I'm not sure. Since I started detaching elements for texturing, and tweaking here and there, I can't get a poly count from max...at least as far as I know I can't. If anyone knows how to get a poly count on multiple objects, let me know. I think it will be between 4000-4500 polies when I'm done and have evrything re-attached.

Go to the Utilities tab, then clcik "more" and then double clcik  "polygon counter"  

Azel

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2003, 04:18:28 pm »
I want one...Ambassadors have allways been overlooked...hell that whole era of time has been overlooked...they need more Ships...Klingons,Romulans,& feds of that era...
Also the ships of the Federation-Cardassian war  

Magnum357

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2003, 12:58:32 am »
I agree.  I hope sandman makes his Ambassador Kitbash Freindly.  I would mind making some kitbashes of the class from his model and maybe even some smaller (or dreadnought type) vessels from the same tech.  I mean, the Ambassadors where used just as extensively as the Excelciors, even into the late 24th Century (maybe even beyond).  I would have to imagine that between the 2320's and 2260's that they had to have made some Corvettes/Frigates/Light Crusiers of the same tech.

sandman69247

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2003, 11:25:20 am »
I'm trying to make it as friendly as possible, but there is so much to be textured. So far I have 8 512x512 texture, not including the i-maps.  

Speaking of that entire era, in the bookstores now is a new series of Trek books called The Lost Era, starting with Sulu and the Excelsior involved with the Tholians in 2298. Read the 1st one and seems like a good series, and since it covers that time period, long overdue.

sandman69247

Re: Enterprise C WIP (NEW PICS)
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2003, 01:01:03 am »
Some more pics of what I have accomplished so far. This taking a long time, but I am trying to do a good job with this one, as it is one of my favorite designs. Hopefully I should have it finished soon.

Here's the pics:

Mackie

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2003, 01:02:58 am »
very good, although i never envisioned it as that blue... and and... arent the nacellas a wee bit too big?  

sandman69247

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2003, 08:50:09 am »
And what's wrong with blue?!? That should be easy to fix, just need to lower the opacity a tad. The nacelles might be a little big...still trying to get her to look right. NOTE: I am going by the pics from Scifi-Arts, which shows the narrower 2ndary hull and nacelles are kinda large...just like the way that one looks more than the later refit Yamaguchi/ Zukhov.

I will be making a new thread tonight...hopefully should have the texturing done. This thread just getting too long.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
Hello sandman69247,

Holy-Cow!

Your USS Ambassador is beautiful!!
The Ambassador has always been my favourite ST design eh,
TWO-THUMBS up,

UFP-KE Patrol

The UFP-KE Hybrid in the middle has a polycount of 7666,
The Earth/Vulcan Hybrid on the left has a polycount of 7147,
The Earht Vulcan Hybrid on the right has a polycount of 7147,

When I imported each into a 3ds max scene,
I could only get polycounts for the individual objects,
but NOT the whole scene,

So I exported it as a single .MOD called _UFP-KE_Patrol_Front_1,
and when I reset,
and then re-imported the _UFP-KE-Patrol_1.MOD,

I clicked on the far right utilities tab (hammer symbol),
then I clicked the "More" option button,
then in the Utilties Dialog box, I selected Polygon Counter,
and I clicked ok,

The polygon count read 21960,
(and buried the needle in the "red-zone", Beeeeepp )

I hope this helps a bit,

Take care my friend,
GeneralWolfe

Smiley

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2003, 06:20:26 pm »
lol, I already said how to view the polygon counts in Max, but it seems that no one even read it! rofl

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2003, 02:48:36 pm »
Smiley,

With respect,
I read your post,

I use 3ds max 4,
When one has multiple objects, the polycount will read for only the separate objects,
Not the objects grouped together,

One must save or export the collection of objects and create a NEW SCENE (.MOD, .3ds, blah),
Smiley,
follow your advice, and test it,

See what happens,

GeneralWolfe

Quote:

lol, I already said how to view the polygon counts in Max, but it seems that no one even read it! rofl