Topic: Enterprise C WIP  (Read 3705 times)

sandman69247

Enterprise C WIP
« on: August 20, 2003, 07:39:29 pm »
Well, as I was working on the D-11, max crashed and wrecked the file. As I was searching in vane for it, I stumbled on this...an old wip. The file I found was from months ago...but made me think about this ship again. I am re-doing it, since I've learned a few things since then. This will be a true wip thread, as I am also experimenting with something I learned from P81...texturing each segment as you build it. This is just the saucer and bridge so far, but I wanted to show the textures as I do them, get advice and such.

Well, here ya go...

Magnum357

Re: Enterprise C WIP
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 12:22:50 am »
Looks nice sandman.  I can also tell you must be trying to stay conservative on the polycount.  I try to do that too when I make my models.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I still play SFC OP and SFC3 on my old P3 and would rather have my models run smooth on my system.  

sandman69247

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:50:31 am »
Yeah, trying to keep this one down some. I'm shooting for around 2500-3000 with this one, which will be good for me since my stuff is usually around 4-5000.

Here's a couple of pics from last night. As you can tell, I'm trying to get as much detail as I can on this one. Let me know what you think.

Azel

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 08:44:17 pm »
Lookin good my Friend
I canna wait til she comes out of dock  

sandman69247

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 08:53:16 pm »
Thanx!! Like I said, I'm trying some new things out with this one, which might take me longer, but I think it's worth it...just hope the rest turns out as nice as the bridge.

Wolf2525

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 09:10:57 pm »
That's looking great so far!

Kreeargh

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:10:58 pm »
Damn that looks Good!   it makes mine look like a cheese ship      

sandman69247

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 02:09:06 am »
Thanx, guys!

Did some more on her tonight, but no pics for now as I'm on the wifes puter. I did the lit windows on the saucer, built the 2ndary hull and nacelle struts. Hoping to have this finished by sunday.

I'll post more pics soon.

sandman69247

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 08:19:29 pm »
OK, here's the promised pics. I should have more done tonight, and I'll post pics either tonight or tomorrow.

ActiveX

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 08:23:02 pm »
Hey sandman, not to sound naive, but what is the ship in your avatar?

Scorpion

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 08:40:17 pm »
That's a very nice rendition of the Enterprise-C, sandman!    

sandman69247

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 09:17:47 pm »
Quote:

That is the USS CHEROKEE, a CHEYENNE class that I meshed and Smiley textured. Looks awesome, don't it? Someday I hope to be able to texture that nice.

sandman69247

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 09:21:12 pm »
Quote:

That's a very nice rendition of the Enterprise-C, sandman!    

Thanx!

This is one of my favorite classes of the Enterprise. To me, it looks more like a direct decendent of the Connie than any of the others, only, of course, MUCH bigger.

ActiveX

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 09:24:31 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

That is the USS CHEROKEE, a CHEYENNE class that I meshed and Smiley textured. Looks awesome, don't it? Someday I hope to be able to texture that nice.

Just curious, cause it looked like one of my Galaxy bashes from last year...hehe...

sandman69247

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2003, 12:35:31 pm »
Did some more last night...not as much as I would have liked, as max crashed again, but didn't kill the mesh, thank God! A lesson relearned...save often!

I'll have pics later tonight...need to finish a few components up before posting,lol.

sandman69247

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2003, 01:24:10 pm »
OK, had time before work to finish a few things up and u/l pics. Mesh is almost finished...not gonna be hitting my mark of 3000 polies or less. One problem I am having is getting the deflector to look right. Hopefully I'll have that figured out and finished tonight, then tomorrow will be texture day (oh joy ).

Here's the pics:

Magnum357

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2003, 03:18:54 pm »
Hey Sandman, its really looking nice.  One suggestion though, I think you might want to increase the width of the Secondary hull.  It looks pretty accurate, but the SEC hull looks a tad thin.  Also, you might want to check the size of the Warp Engines, they might need a slight decrease in size.  Other then that, it looks perfect.

Also, when you get this puppy done, do you mind if I make a few kitbashes with it?  I've always liked the simple design pattern or the Ambassador class.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Magnum357 »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2003, 07:38:50 pm »
Wow!

From the ashes of a lost D-11 you resurrect this fine Ambassador Class  Enterprise C, what a stroke of good fortune for you!

Keep those ships coming!

Qapla!

KF

sandman69247

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2003, 10:52:44 am »
I'll still be doing the D-11...just had to finish the Ent-c 1st.

As for the size issues, I've tried, but it just doesn't work, the look gets ruined. I got it as close as I could without sacrificing details. The 2ndary hull is small on all the pics I've seen, and the nacelles are large. I'll try to tweak it some more today, but it's about as close as I can get.

Pics will be coming in a few hours.

sandman69247

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2003, 11:44:03 pm »
Haven't done much lately, tweaked the mesh some and did some of the detail work on the textures. Here's a couple of pics to get some feedback. The bussards will be re-mapped, as they are showing up funky.

Magnum357

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2003, 11:59:06 pm »
Well, the perportions are still a tad off in my opinion, but regardless its still a very nice model Sandman.  Keep up the good work!

One question Sandman, will this Ambassador have only a few textures?  I've noticed other Ambassador Models out their that they have a lot of different little textures for each peice which is a little annoying if you want to make some simple kitbashes.  That is part of the reason why I keep my textures on just a few templates.

sandman69247

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2003, 08:35:49 am »
Thanx Magnum!

As for the proportions, I noticed that the pics I am using (from scifi-arts.com) and the standard Ambassador schematic are a little different in that the pics I am using show it pretty narrow in the 2ndary hull. I prefer the narrower look, makes it look sleeker.

For the textures, I have so far 6 512x512 texture, not including the i-maps. You need a lot, since there is so much to put on the darn thing, lol.

Marauth

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2003, 09:13:08 am »
Well there is an explanation for the difference in schematics, the 'standard schematics' are not actually what the original Ambassador looked like, they are a compromise between the appearance of the studio model as the Enterprise-C in 'Yesterday's Enteprise' and the Yamaguchi/Excalibur/Zhukov modified version used later on, the most problematic difference in the schematics (which actually made it's way into AMT/ERTL's physical model kit of the Enteprise-C was that the hull was made considerably wider for the Yamaguchi/Excalibur/Zhukov version (which on a model kit takes quite a bit of skill and patience to correct)

Also one of the things nobody notices in the schematics because it's hidden by the nacelles, but the neck of the original version actually extends a few metres beyond the edge of the saucer. There's a really good article detailing the differences between the 2 versions here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ambassador.htm

The ship is looking very good if I do say so Sandman, what's the poly count as it stands?

sandman69247

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2003, 12:31:05 pm »
Quote:

The ship is looking very good if I do say so Sandman, what's the poly count as it stands?  

Thanx! and I'm not sure. Since I started detaching elements for texturing, and tweaking here and there, I can't get a poly count from max...at least as far as I know I can't. If anyone knows how to get a poly count on multiple objects, let me know. I think it will be between 4000-4500 polies when I'm done and have evrything re-attached.

DookeyKing

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2003, 02:45:20 pm »
When rendering,  MAX gives a face count for the entire scene.  Just a thought.

Scott

Smiley

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2003, 04:00:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanx! and I'm not sure. Since I started detaching elements for texturing, and tweaking here and there, I can't get a poly count from max...at least as far as I know I can't. If anyone knows how to get a poly count on multiple objects, let me know. I think it will be between 4000-4500 polies when I'm done and have evrything re-attached.

Go to the Utilities tab, then clcik "more" and then double clcik  "polygon counter"  

Azel

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2003, 04:18:28 pm »
I want one...Ambassadors have allways been overlooked...hell that whole era of time has been overlooked...they need more Ships...Klingons,Romulans,& feds of that era...
Also the ships of the Federation-Cardassian war  

Magnum357

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2003, 12:58:32 am »
I agree.  I hope sandman makes his Ambassador Kitbash Freindly.  I would mind making some kitbashes of the class from his model and maybe even some smaller (or dreadnought type) vessels from the same tech.  I mean, the Ambassadors where used just as extensively as the Excelciors, even into the late 24th Century (maybe even beyond).  I would have to imagine that between the 2320's and 2260's that they had to have made some Corvettes/Frigates/Light Crusiers of the same tech.

sandman69247

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2003, 11:25:20 am »
I'm trying to make it as friendly as possible, but there is so much to be textured. So far I have 8 512x512 texture, not including the i-maps.  

Speaking of that entire era, in the bookstores now is a new series of Trek books called The Lost Era, starting with Sulu and the Excelsior involved with the Tholians in 2298. Read the 1st one and seems like a good series, and since it covers that time period, long overdue.

sandman69247

Re: Enterprise C WIP (NEW PICS)
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2003, 01:01:03 am »
Some more pics of what I have accomplished so far. This taking a long time, but I am trying to do a good job with this one, as it is one of my favorite designs. Hopefully I should have it finished soon.

Here's the pics:

Mackie

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2003, 01:02:58 am »
very good, although i never envisioned it as that blue... and and... arent the nacellas a wee bit too big?  

sandman69247

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2003, 08:50:09 am »
And what's wrong with blue?!? That should be easy to fix, just need to lower the opacity a tad. The nacelles might be a little big...still trying to get her to look right. NOTE: I am going by the pics from Scifi-Arts, which shows the narrower 2ndary hull and nacelles are kinda large...just like the way that one looks more than the later refit Yamaguchi/ Zukhov.

I will be making a new thread tonight...hopefully should have the texturing done. This thread just getting too long.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
Hello sandman69247,

Holy-Cow!

Your USS Ambassador is beautiful!!
The Ambassador has always been my favourite ST design eh,
TWO-THUMBS up,

UFP-KE Patrol

The UFP-KE Hybrid in the middle has a polycount of 7666,
The Earth/Vulcan Hybrid on the left has a polycount of 7147,
The Earht Vulcan Hybrid on the right has a polycount of 7147,

When I imported each into a 3ds max scene,
I could only get polycounts for the individual objects,
but NOT the whole scene,

So I exported it as a single .MOD called _UFP-KE_Patrol_Front_1,
and when I reset,
and then re-imported the _UFP-KE-Patrol_1.MOD,

I clicked on the far right utilities tab (hammer symbol),
then I clicked the "More" option button,
then in the Utilties Dialog box, I selected Polygon Counter,
and I clicked ok,

The polygon count read 21960,
(and buried the needle in the "red-zone", Beeeeepp )

I hope this helps a bit,

Take care my friend,
GeneralWolfe

Smiley

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2003, 06:20:26 pm »
lol, I already said how to view the polygon counts in Max, but it seems that no one even read it! rofl

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2003, 02:48:36 pm »
Smiley,

With respect,
I read your post,

I use 3ds max 4,
When one has multiple objects, the polycount will read for only the separate objects,
Not the objects grouped together,

One must save or export the collection of objects and create a NEW SCENE (.MOD, .3ds, blah),
Smiley,
follow your advice, and test it,

See what happens,

GeneralWolfe

Quote:

lol, I already said how to view the polygon counts in Max, but it seems that no one even read it! rofl