Topic: Melak?  (Read 1303 times)

Alidar Jarok

Melak?
« on: August 18, 2003, 08:16:02 pm »
Does anyone know where I can my hands on the Melak that was shown in the intro of ST: New Worlds?

Preferably for SFC3.

Thanks.

Alidar Jarok

Re: Melak?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 07:24:46 pm »
BUMPO

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 01:33:53 pm »
The Melak truly is a cursed warbird. Nobody in the SFC community has sucessfully made an accurate, hi-poly model and been able to convert it to mod format.

SFC ART HISTORIAN mode kicks in:

[Walter Kronkite voice:]

The most detailed Melak is Kleotol's but its inaccurate 'dumpster shaped' warp engines was bad for warp field geometry and thus it never survived the conversion into mod format, LOL. There are others out there but the details remind one of a D'deridex Warbird made from LEGO blocks. Still they are INFINITELY better than what I can make. Azel was the first to successfully make a good Melak from scratch for SFC since Maggot did his SFC1 kitbash based on Noah Wallace's D' deridex warbird over two years ago. Unfortunately, there is a slight mesh problem and the warp engines aren't accurate. However, this was one of Azel's 'early' works... imagine what he can do today or a few moths from now since his skills are improving day by day!

Although I am NOT technically proficient enough to do this, I believe a decent kitbash could be made using the SFC3 Warbird if the rear end could be pushed INWARD. Essentially, it would almost look like the letter 'W' from a top down perspective. Again the warp engines wouldn't be accurate. However, I have a few Romulan warships with  that have parts that are closer to looking like the Melak warp engines than have been made so far.

It is not my intention to offend any of the great and talented model makers/kitbashers out there.

I am just reporting the historical facts as I have tracked this story for over a year now. Ever since SovereignEmpire (and later Mackie [thank you!]) posted the first pics of the New Worlds Melak, there are rumors that an uber hi-poly Melak warbird has been commissioned for money but as of this time I can neither confirm or deny this. I just know that it never seems to rise to the same level as a new Connie or Excelsior in the grand scheme of things.

Its too bad really; there's not much point in having a cool, sexy  Federation ship if you don't have equally cool adversaries to play against..

Qapla!

KF

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Marauth

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 01:41:10 pm »
I think it's a sign, the Melak just isn't meant to be made, the day a modelelr finally completes a high-poly accurate Melak for SFC the world will descend into anarchy and it will be hell on earth with the demons of Berman and Braga poking us with pointy sticks and forcing us to watch their new trek stories for all eternity!!!! I think I may have said too much, *scurries away deeper into the shadows*

atheorhaven

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 02:29:46 pm »
Far be it for me to bring total anarchy down on the masses... but I'll stick my neck out here.

KF, here's what I'd like you to do.  Send me some the most detailed pictures of the Melak that you have, plus links to where you think I could get the most accurate ship parts for it (or the actual ships), and I'll try kitbashing one together in addition to all my own projects, plus RL and the other projects I'm working on.  Seeing the X-Filesesque login names you come up with is entertaining, but it'd be nice to finally get a version out there that's going to pass muster as it were...

Do me one favor though, wait until at least Tuesday before you send the stuff.. I'm out of town over our long weekend up here..

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 02:57:50 pm »
Quote:

Far be it for me to bring total anarchy down on the masses... but I'll stick my neck out here.

KF, here's what I'd like you to do.  Send me some the most detailed pictures of the Melak that you have, plus links to where you think I could get the most accurate ship parts for it (or the actual ships), and I'll try kitbashing one together in addition to all my own projects, plus RL and the other projects I'm working on.  Seeing the X-Filesesque login names you come up with is entertaining, but it'd be nice to finally get a version out there that's going to pass muster as it were...

Do me one favor though, wait until at least Tuesday before you send the stuff.. I'm out of town over our long weekend up here..  

Atheorhaven,

X-fileseque login names? What is that supposed to mean? LOL. Maybe its the supernatural forces of the Cthulhu mythos at work against the creation of this warbird, LOL. Afterall why would a VAMPIRE reply to this post? What next? A Zombie (WZ45 maybe)?

I will get the model I have in mind to you and also send you DarkMatrix's set of screen captures from ST:NW that show the Melak.

I try to keep my enthusiasm for this project in check by comparing it to all the fan comments that come out EVERY TIME a new Connie or Excelsior/variant comes out. The non-Federation races should be subject to the same LOVING scrutiny IMHO.

Best wishes to all involved.

KF

Reverend

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 04:22:45 pm »
(slithering sounds.. like flaps of wet tarp over mud) What? Mythos? Where?  

atheorhaven

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 05:58:20 pm »
Quote:

Atheorhaven,
X-fileseque login names? What is that supposed to mean?

Romulan Senate denies Melak exists...
Melak has a better cloak?

Quote:

I will get the model I have in mind to you and also send you DarkMatrix's set of screen captures from ST:NW that show the Melak.
I try to keep my enthusiasm for this project in check by comparing it to all the fan comments that come out EVERY TIME a new Connie or Excelsior/variant comes out. The non-Federation races should be subject to the same LOVING scrutiny IMHO.
Best wishes to all involved.
KF

Yeah, I know.. there's a lot of Feddie bias here.. but really more so, a Trek one.    When I (or someone else) posts a non-Trek ship.. it's pretty well a dead post for the most part..

Anyways, I'm off for the long weekend.. see ya guys on about Tuesday..